Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Iam new to Linux and have a few questions.

Options

Hello all, I am new to linux and I have a few questions.

1.How do I download linux to my pc or CD-R disc? I have looked everywhereon Linux.com and am unable to find the place to actually downlod Linux.

2.What are the main differences between Linux and the OS I am using now Windows Vista?

3.I have seen many different versions of Linux. Which should I download? I am looking for the type of Linux that is closest to the Windows Vista that I am using and that is the easiest to understand and use.

4.I have Trend Micro Internet explorer and Microsoft Office suite 2010 installed on my pc. Are both of those compatable and usable in the Linux OS?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    1) Go to the Directory in the top menu. The first choice is download Linux. Although, one does not just download Linux, one downloads a distribution of Linux, depending on what your computer is used for, the hardware it contains and what your particular needs are. For new users I usually recommend the Linux Mint distribution, because, it is the one that is easiest to set up, in my opinion. Usually we recommend downloading a Live CD, so you can experience using Linux before doing an install. Almost every distribution offers a Live CD, or, a Live USB in case your using a netbook or other type of computer that does not have a CD player attached.
    2) There are many differences between Linux and Windows Vista. The most valuable difference is the freedom to use, share and modify it to your own specifications. You can't do that with Windows, it is closed, Linux is Open. If you would like to understand what Linux is about, a short video from our 20th Anniversary tells the story pretty well. Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw

3) As I explained in "1)", I usually recommend Linux Mint. As far as being closest to Windows, most distros are set up to somewhat look like Windows. Those using the KDE window manager come closest, although, the present Gnome window manager used in Linux Mint is also similar to the Windows desktop. It doesn't take very much to get used to using either.
    4) Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office are not compatible with Linux. Microsoft does not put out versions that run on Linux based operating system. Firefox and Google Chrome are much better replacements for Internet Explorer, and, are much more secure. Internet Explorer has had many vulnerabilities over the years, and since Microsoft doesn't update their products in a timely manner, it is still true today. OpenOffice, or, the more recent LibreOffice are good replacements for Microsoft Office. They work well for me and many others, but, since Microsoft doesn't align itself to the Open Standards, sometimes converting a Windows Office created file with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, can create problems. I convert Microsoft Office files all the time and have not encountered those problems. It all depends on how you use Microsoft Office, and, how many of the advanced commands you embed in your documents/spreadsheets.

There is also a web site called DistroWatch, where you can look at ALL the Linux distros available, if you interested. Link here:
    http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

If you need certain specifications, or would like to tell us what kind of computer you are using, or would like any other questions answered, please just ask. That's what we are here for.
  • gileadeoseiass
    Options
    1. To tranferir linux for I PC depend on the media, generally for installation media I use a DVD I depend on the filing-cabinet of the distribution.

2. The difference enters any version of the Windows is in the speed and establidade of the system
    almost not travamento, is more secures, and has more resources.

3. You depends pods to use the Unbuto, Fedora, Mandriva, Opensuze, more todads it is different of windows, more can be good because they are simple.

4. The programs of windows for standard do not function in linux rque the installation archive are different. More the deeds of division to install program of windows in linux using “wine” or others you program.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Options
    Hey been in your spot before. As Goineasy9 said, one of the best things about linux is that you can do basically anything you want to it. As far as I know, Trend Micro Incorporated does not support any linux operating systems. But the fact is that another good thing about linux is that it's not near as vulnerable as windows, therefore eliminating a need for a security center. But I was in the same hole, looking for a way out of windows. I would suggest using Ubuntu, it was great because there was always useful information on there. If you need any help, feel free to send a message my way.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Options
    * on their website they also have forums which are useful :)
  • LinuxPorter88
    Options
    +1 to Ubuntu

That's where I got my start. The forums are great and it has overall one of the best Desktop environments I've ever used. The only drawback I found was my old Graphics card almost never worked properly and the audio drivers for my hardware were terrible at the time. If you have an older ATI graphics card and you're wanting to play games like Doom 3 or Quake Live, more than likely your best bet would be to use a different distro like Fedora (great drivers, a little too oversecure for my tastes - SELinux, Bah; haven't checked out the new version yet, though).

Or if you're like me, a hardcore computer masochist (semi-joking, by the way), Gentoo or Arch, both of which are Play-Doh operating systems that allow you to build your system from the ground up and customize it however you desire.

And as stated above, you really do not need an Anti-virus, but if you do want one, I suggest Clam-AV (http://www.clamav.net/). Although, Microsoft Office does work in WINE (an acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator), a Windows compatibility layer for Linux that is still in development, my suggestion is to either use Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org) or its fork Libre Office (http://www.libreoffice.org), both of which are excellent Microsoft Office alternatives.
  • anand44
    anand44 Posts: 11
    Options
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    1) Go to the Directory in the top menu. The first choice is download Linux. Although, one does not just download Linux, one downloads a distribution of Linux, depending on what your computer is used for, the hardware it contains and what your particular needs are. For new users I usually recommend the Linux Mint distribution, because, it is the one that is easiest to set up, in my opinion. Usually we recommend downloading a Live CD, so you can experience using Linux before doing an install. Almost every distribution offers a Live CD, or, a Live USB in case your using a netbook or other type of computer that does not have a CD player attached.
    2) There are many differences between Linux and Windows Vista. The most valuable difference is the freedom to use, share and modify it to your own specifications. You can't do that with Windows, it is closed, Linux is Open. If you would like to understand what Linux is about, a short video from our 20th Anniversary tells the story pretty well. Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw

3) As I explained in "1)", I usually recommend Linux Mint. As far as being closest to Windows, most distros are set up to somewhat look like Windows. Those using the KDE window manager come closest, although, the present Gnome window manager used in Linux Mint is also similar to the Windows desktop. It doesn't take very much to get used to using either.
    4) Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office are not compatible with Linux. Microsoft does not put out versions that run on Linux based operating system. Firefox and Google Chrome are much better replacements for Internet Explorer, and, are much more secure. Internet Explorer has had many vulnerabilities over the years, and since Microsoft doesn't update their products in a timely manner, it is still true today. OpenOffice, or, the more recent LibreOffice are good replacements for Microsoft Office. They work well for me and many others, but, since Microsoft doesn't align itself to the Open Standards, sometimes converting a Windows Office created file with OpenOffice or LibreOffice, can create problems. I convert Microsoft Office files all the time and have not encountered those problems. It all depends on how you use Microsoft Office, and, how many of the advanced commands you embed in your documents/spreadsheets.

There is also a web site called DistroWatch, where you can look at ALL the Linux distros available, if you interested. Link here:
    http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

If you need certain specifications, or would like to tell us what kind of computer you are using, or would like any other questions answered, please just ask. That's what we are here for.

+1 great tips
  • youbetcha
    youbetcha Posts: 1
    Options
    i am new to linux as well. i plan on getting ubuntu and learning on my own, but what i wanna know is...what is the best way to get my foot in the door. Do i take another year and a half at community college and get certified? Do i try to find some kind of internship(i have no experience). Do i move and find a linux company that offers its own training? Linux seems very complicated but im sure ill understand what a "shell" or "command line" means in good time. I just wanna know basically if this would be a good career?

Categories

Upcoming Training