Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help for what drivers I need please

CPU Intel® Atom™ N455 processor (1.66GHz)

OS Genuine Windows® 7 Starter

Chipset Intel® NM10

Memory DDR3 667, Max: 2GB

LCD Size 10” (1024 x 600) WSVGA LED

Graphics Intel® GMA 3150

Graphics VRAM share with system memory

HDD (GB) 160 GB or above (2.5” SATA)

Optical Drive N/A

Audio HD Audio, Stereo speakers

Webcam 0.3M

Card Reader SD/MMC

LAN 10/100/1000

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth N/A

D-Sub (VGA) 1

Hello these are the specs for my ..MSI..Wind U 160dx...Could someone please advise me on what drivers I will need when I install Linux Mint Julia 10 KDE edition .32 bit.or what I should need..basically I don't know much on where to start so if someone could help ...thank you in advance.................Fozzie

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Most of that hardware should work out of the box with Mint. The only parts that might need additional drivers, depending on the specific model you've got, is the wireless network card and the webcam.

You can go here to check whether or not the wireless card is supported, and which driver is necessary if it is. The installation disk comes with the drivers for many wireless cards, but not all of them. If you have access to a wired internet connection, the wireless drivers shouldn't be a concern though; you could always use the wired internet connection to later download the wireless drivers.

By the way, if this is your first time installing Linux, I recommend that you create a dual boot setup. This means that instead of replacing your Windows installation with Linux, you resize your existing Windows partition and install Linux on a new partition. That way you can choose which system to boot when you start your machine, and might continue using your Windows partition for software (e.g. some games) or hardware (e.g. some camcorders) that you don't get to work properly in Linux. The installation program on the Mint disk should guide you through this process, and I believe it's the default procedure if you tell it to automatically partition your hard drive.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    While it's hard to find, the RT3090 wireless chipset is in the MSI Wind U160. This chipset has been used successfully with Linux. I'd even bet that Linux Mint has a selection in it's setup that will point you directly to its setup. I'm sorry but my Google Foo isn't working quite this well this morning. I couldn't confirm with a link to the setup, but that's a good thing. If it was a problem they'd be more hits.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Intel is highly supported by linux so you should have no problems. The SD/MMC card reader and the Webcam can be tricky. IF you install any of the debian/ubuntu based linux systems, there is an option to have you system scan for any available drivers if the system does not prompt for specific driver installation.
  • Fozzie54
    Fozzie54 Posts: 5
    thanks everyone for your great responses..........I am back to work tommorow after 4 months off....overseas...

I just have to get my head around Linux....to understand the systems and proccess.

I want to reformat my netbook without partition leave Windows of completely and learn how to use Linux only...
    Looking at the drivers available and reading on the net about issues people have is intersesting...........

thank you again for your replies.

Fozzie
    from

Western Australia

Categories

Upcoming Training