Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Puppy Linux ( Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 )

I am a lifelong Windows user, but have dabbled in different OS's. I came across Puppy Linux and I like it, but I am still having trouble laving my old windows habits. I have accessed an old PC with Windows XP Pro on it. It wouldn't boot before. Puppy lets me boot it and get into the drives but I can't figure out how to move the info from the old drives onto an external drive. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Comments

• asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

What are you trying to do? Just copy some files from the Windows partition to a external hard drive. If you can access both the Windows partition and the external hard drive, is it not as simple as just copy the files? Or did I not understand correctly?

Are you running it from a CD/DVD/USB memory?
  • paul6077
    paul6077 Posts: 3
    Hi and thanks for a quick answer.I want to copy as many of the old files that I need to an external. As soon as you said

"if you can access both the Windows partition and the external hard drive", I kicked myself. I guess I should turn the external drive on?

Boy, do I feel like a dnce. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

I am running Puppy from a CD.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Tell us what your setup looks like. Do you have the external drive attached through a usb connection on the laptop? I haven't used Puppy in a while, but, if it contains the ntfs-3g driver, then, just clicking on the menu item that brings up the computer attached drive information should show you if the connections are working. The menu item on my computer is called "Computer", and when I click on it I see the drives connected. Just clicking on the drives brings up a file manager window for each drive, and, one can drag and drop the files from one drive to the other.
    That may sound easy, but, that really depends on everything working as I explained above. If your lucky, it could be that easy. If not, tell us what steps you took, what results you had and what problems or error messages you encountered. Then we'll be able to take it from there. The more info you give us, the easier it will be to help you.

Edit: I see you made a post while I was typing. LOL, now that you have the external drive turned on, how did it work out?
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    If it's not just some files you want to copy you can copy the whole thing.

http://www.backuphowto.info/linux-backup-hard-disk-clone-dd

I'm not sure if Puppy has dd as default however.
  • paul6077
    paul6077 Posts: 3
    OK. My setup is a desktop P4,3 Gig processor. It has 2 Gig Ram, and 3 hard drives.Once I turned on thr external I could see all the drives. I opened the one I wanted to save and dragged the files. Seems to be working fine.I have another old PC that I think I'll dedicate to Linux and it's branches. I'll be asking for more help when the time comes.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Great news Paul, it's nice how far Linux has come. Especially when all the tools are included in the install, and all you have to do is point and click. When you're ready, and have more questions, we'll be here.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Oh and by the way last time I had to do this (three weeks ago???) I used a SliTaz 3.0 Live Cd. Does about the same thing but Puppy is actually alot fancier lol

Categories

Upcoming Training