Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Printer

Hi;

I have a Hp photo smart plus printer that is wireless. Any help setting it up with Linux would be appreciated..

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    That depends on the distro and desktop environment you are using.

Anyway, you can always try using the cups webinterface opening in a browser localhost:631

It's fairly explicit how to install a printer from there on

Regards
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    These days, many of the top distros will automatically set up the printer for you. All you have to do is plug it in. Sometimes the 631 port of the firewall has to be opened first. If just plugging in the printer doesn't work, like Marc said, you can use the cups interface. That is standard on almost all distros.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have not tried to use a wireless printer, but most likely the printer is using cups or samba to share it's services, try navigating to it through a webbrowser on port 631, if a page comes up it is using cups and we can guide you. if it does not then it is using samba and we can also help you with that.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Geez, I got interrupted and forgot about the wireless part, sorry. Wouldn't the wireless printer show up in the list of available wireless networks? Once the computer finds the network address it should set up like any other networked printer.

Categories

Upcoming Training