Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

AVG

How to add application not listed. Need some help on exactly where and how to get avg loaded in pc???????

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If your speaking about the avg antivirus program, it is made for windows not Linux. Antivirus programs are not needed in Linux, unless you're dual booting with Windows, and then they are only used to scan files that come from or go into Windows. Antivirus programs are made for Linux, but, mainly when Linux is on the server, and then again, it's only to protect Windows vulnerabilities.

If your not speaking of avg the antivirus program, then, make your question a little clearer.
  • ollerref
    ollerref Posts: 11
    This is what I needed. Thank you.
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    ollerref wrote:
    How to add application not listed. Need some help on exactly where and how to get avg loaded in pc???????

If you send and receive a lot of documents it's good practice to check them before sending, even if the malware don't effect your system you don't wan't your friends to get in trouble because you forwarded it.

You can read more about malware on Linux here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

I think I newer have heard of a Home user having problem with malware on Linux.

If you really want a AV on Linux, ClamAV is probably listed. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam_AntiVirus)
    (clamtk is with Graphical front-end for clamav, and on kde there is also klamav)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    If your speaking about the avg antivirus program, it is made for windows not Linux. Antivirus programs are not needed in Linux, unless you're dual booting with Windows, and then they are only used to scan files that come from or go into Windows. Antivirus programs are made for Linux, but, mainly when Linux is on the server, and then again, it's only to protect Windows vulnerabilities.

If your not speaking of avg the antivirus program, then, make your question a little clearer.

A small correction should be noted.

AVG does have an antivirus product for Linux (http://www.avg.com/us-en/product-avg-server-edition-for-linux), but it is for Linux servers. To be fair any Linux OS can be a server installation so it can work, but due to the licensing costs the server version generally would not be worth using on a home system.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    I'd just like to add to what mfillpot said - I use AVG Anti-Virus scanner for Linux (version 8.5.850) both at home (I do a lot of file sharing w/Windows, so I'm erring on the side of caution) and at work (required). I've never "caught" anything on my Linux systems with it, but I have on the Windows side using the Windows version. If you need some sort of Virus Scanning (for whatever reason) on Linux, I'd recommend at least checking it out.

-bill
  • Tylerttt
    Tylerttt Posts: 12
    This is just a personal opinion but I would not recommend AVG anti-virus software to anyone. I had it on my windows xp desktop and it got infected. Let's just say, in the end I lost all my data, including a system program I had just finished setting up and all the school papers I had on it, and had to get a new hard drive. (and I was just web browsing like any of you would do)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Let's get one thing clear, Antivirus software is always, at least, a few hours out of date. No matter which one you use, there is always a new virus that won't be in it's list. I use Avast on my Windows 7 machines, but then again, I don't surf the net on Windows (actually, the only thing I use Windows for is for GoToMeeting, because others in my group find it easy.), so I've never been infected. Think of these programs like you think of the TSA, security theater. They make you feel good that they're running, but don't keep you 100% safe. If you run Windows, eventually you will get bitten.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Tom is correct about the effectiveness of Antivirus scanners.

My personal favorites are Antivir and AVg, which both have Linux Server versions. If anitvir had a Linux version I would definitely pay for a subscription to their products. on that note, if you are a windows user I hihgly recommend getting Antivir Premium, so far none of the people that I have recommended to use it have experienced any infections.

Categories

Upcoming Training