Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

The Canterbury Project

Because this applies to multiple distributions, I figured this would be best put here.

We are pleased to announce the birth of the Canterbury distribution. Canterbury is a merge of the efforts of the community distributions formerly known as Arch Linux, Debian, Gentoo, Grml and openSUSE to produce a really unified effort and be able to stand up in a combined effort against proprietary operating systems, to show off that the Free Software community is actually able to work together for a common goal instead of creating more diversity.

Canterbury will be as technologically simple as Arch, as stable as Debian, malleable as Gentoo, have a solid Live framework as Grml, and be as open minded as openSUSE.

Read On

Comments

• asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    Original posted date: 2011-04-01

Too bad.:laugh:
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Hey Mike,

Just tell me one thing, because, after reading the thread I'm confused (No jokes please), is it real, was it a April Fools joke, or is there really something going on. Very few posts in the thread actually took the project seriously.
    It is interesting though. With the inclusion of systemd in many distros, the addition of a /run folder used during boot was agreed to by those same distros.
    I'll have to keep my eye on the project, as it would be a positive for the spread of Linux, that is, if it can get past the egos of the distro devs.
  • asedt
    The name is from:

"The earliest recorded association between April 1 and foolishness can be found in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (1392). Many writers suggest that the restoration of January 1 as New Year's Day in the 16th century was responsible for the creation of the holiday, but this theory does not explain earlier references."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    asedt wrote:
    The name is from:

"The earliest recorded association between April 1 and foolishness can be found in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (1392). Many writers suggest that the restoration of January 1 as New Year's Day in the 16th century was responsible for the creation of the holiday, but this theory does not explain earlier references."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day

HAhahaha I hadn't even realized it was on April 1st. My bad, I thought it seemed rather ridiculous. Funny though. Good catch.
  • Goineasy9
    Well, since I read about the addition of the /run folder on the fedora-devel mailing list, this didn't seem, just from the first look, to be totally preposterous. Although, once I read the thread, I had my doubts. I blame my being taken in from the delayed effects of jet lag. It was a great name though. Oh well.
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    Hey you guys,

I've got this big bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Anyone interested? The price is right. ;)
  • Goineasy9
    OMG- I missed it when it was up on ebay, we should talk.
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    Heh! Being down here in sunny Florida, I also happen to have some rather nice tracts of swamp land. ;)
  • vtel57 wrote:
    Heh! Being down here in sunny Florida, I also happen to have some rather nice tracts of swamp land. ;)

Swamp lands are grand, but can they support vegetation? I know of a remote farm near Lincolnshire where Mrs. Buckley lives... Every July, peas grow there.
  • asedt
    This is important news:
    http://skynet.kernel.org/

:laugh:

Debian confirms: "this announcement was just a fake announcement ;)"
    http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110401
  • Goineasy9
    I like the Airbus 380. What we need is a plane that will fit some of the egos that call kernel.org their home. Then again, at least their doing something important. It's not like they're Trump-like.

Categories

Upcoming Training