Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

HELP,Can't install anything but Ubuntu

I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux but have used it in the past and use the live CD's for data recovery. I recently tried installing Zorin OS 4, Linux Mint 10.0 and Ubuntu 10.10 and 9.1 on a fresh HDD and was only able to get Ubuntu 9.1 to install. These were all the 64bit versions. The Ubuntu 9.1 version was 32bit. When installing Zorin or Mint, it will start with the splash screen and then there is nothing on the screen. Here's my system:

AsRock 4coredual with VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets

Intel quad core Q6600

2 gigs of DDR2 800

WD 320G RE3 HDD

Nvidia 512mb PCI express

My question to you experts is why will only Ubuntu 9.1 only install and not Zorin or Mint? Is it the 32bit vs the 64bit?

I really wanted to install Zorin.

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    dcmilly wrote:
    I'm somewhat of a newbie to Linux but have used it in the past and use the live CD's for data recovery. I recently tried installing Zorin OS 4, Linux Mint 10.0 and Ubuntu 10.10 and 9.1 on a fresh HDD and was only able to get Ubuntu 9.1 to install. These were all the 64bit versions. The Ubuntu 9.1 version was 32bit. When installing Zorin or Mint, it will start with the splash screen and then there is nothing on the screen. Here's my system:

AsRock 4coredual with VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets
    Intel quad core Q6600
    2 gigs of DDR2 800
    WD 320G RE3 HDD
    Nvidia 512mb PCI express

My question to you experts is why will only Ubuntu 9.1 only install and not Zorin or Mint? Is it the 32bit vs the 64bit?

I really wanted to install Zorin.

Thanks, Dave
    It looks like the only thing you had installing was 32-bit. While this shouldn't truly be an issue, it might be a simpler solution to your problem to try to install the 32-bit version of Zorin or Mint first. If those didn't work it would make sense to troubleshoot, and of course if 64-bit just won't work that's an issue to worry about, but personally if I could get 32 bit to work just fine I wouldn't worry about it.

My advice: Try Zoring and Mint 32-bit.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have experienced similar issues with various distros on my new computer, I was able to hit the ESC key during the splash screens to see the error messages showing the cause of the freezes and work around them.

I recommend for you to do he same and report the various error messages here, it is very likely that the freezes could be due to a bios configuration issue or related to the boot up configuration or the specific distros.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Some 64-bit systems don't work as you expect with 64-bit distros. Likely to be issues with the bios, or system drivers. To be on the safe side, I recommend installing 32bit distros since most work out of the box and have more good reviews.

I have zorin OS 5 32bit install on the PCs on my private network. Two of the PCs are 64bit systems and zorin works flawlessly. Because of this, I've chosen to stay with 32bit.

Compact, HP and Asus work well with 64bit distros.
  • dcmilly
    dcmilly Posts: 4
    Thanks to those that have replied. FYI: When I installed Ubuntu 9.1 and did all the updates I notice I had the option to upgrade to 10.04. The upgrade went flawlessly until reboot and then I got a blank screen. I'll take a good look at my BIOS and try the "ESC" thing during install.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    This seems to be a kernel related problem.

We need more information to try to solve the issue :)
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Since this problem is happening with distributions after Ubuntu 9.x, and you have an nVidia card, it may be that the change with 10.04 where they started using the Nouveau video driver, may be the issue here. I've seen similar problems with it. One thing to try is to attach an external monitor to the VGA or DVI port and see if you are getting your output there after the splash screen goes away. It it works, then you can uninstall Nouveau, blacklist it, and install the proprietary nVidia driver.
  • dcmilly
    dcmilly Posts: 4
    You're correct. The only distro I can install is Ubuntu 9.1. I've tried Fedora 14, Zorin 4, Linux mint 10 in both 32 and 64 bit. My question is does anybody not use the nouveau video driver or can I remove it before install? The only other problem I'm having is my CPU fan is running at full speed. I tried running the lm-sensor program but it did not help. And it doesn't look like VIA supports a linux chipset driver.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I have a similar problem with my ati card. After I upgraded to 10.10, I installed the proprietary driver and all I get is a blank screen. Not cool. So, instead I used the default driver loaded from the kernel. Works fine but can't take full advantage of 3d-rendering.

I also have another that will only take ubuntu 9.1. Any newer distro will not work it...newer ubuntu system. Apparently, the default driver is not accepted, don't even have the option to install the propriety driver.

I'll take a guess and say that with each upgrade of the kernel module are re-written or patched. What ever was patched in the kernel related to the video driver will not work with yours or my system. And, modules are not loaded until the kernel is loaded after booting.

Take a look at the kernel ubuntu 9.1 is using and see if you can find other distros that use the same one or, run "lspci -v" and find your vga controller section and note the driver and modules that your kernel has loaded for your video controller. Then take that information and check all kernels to see if they are using the same ones. Bit of work but will help out in the long run.

Look at this site for a listing of all recent kernels and view their change logs.
    www.kernel.org

Categories

Upcoming Training