Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Worries

Hello,

I am completely new to the world of Linux. I have heard about it, but never really expressed interest into it until now. I am thinking of switching from my current OS (windows 7 (64)) to a linux based one. However, I am currently a student and am worried about being able to run programs such as AutoCad '11 Electrical and Multisim. Would installing Linux hinder my ability to run these types of programs on my computer?

Also, I do have some minimal experience in using a unix interface for some C programming. Would installing Linux require a lot of technical knowledge? If so are there any reputable tutorials that i can use to perhaps get me started?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Due to autocad and other windows based apps that you rely on I recommend looking into making your system dual boot a linux distro and windows, that way you can choose which to use on boot. Then when you are more comfortable and find ways to make those apps run in Linux or find comparable apps you can fully migrate.

Modern Linux based distros are getting very user friendly like windows or MAc, I recommend starting with Linux Mint because it is new user friendly but allows control, then you can learn the technical parts when you are ready.
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I agree with mfillpots sentiments on this. You don't need any previous experience with Linux/Unix systems to install a distribution like Mint or Ubuntu. Although there exists a Windows emulation layer for Linux called Wine, many applications don't work that well with it - so the safe alternative is to install Linux alongside Windows, so that both operative systems are available on your computer.

Note that many applications, e.g. Matlab, Maple and Simulink, also have native Linux versions available; you might try checking out the web pages of the applications you require to see if any of them run natively.
  • mode
    mode Posts: 2
    That sounds like a viable idea. Installing Linux alongside windows would mean at startup, there is an option as to what OS u want to boot?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    mode wrote:
    That sounds like a viable idea. Installing Linux alongside windows would mean at startup, there is an option as to what OS u want to boot?
    Yes, but make a backup of your system and data first, just in case... :-) You can do this a couple of ways, one of which does not require that you repartition your disc or resize your Windows partition. That is Ubuntu's Wubi.exe installer. It will create a virtual disc in your Windows file system, and set itself up for dual booting either Ubuntu or Windows.
  • Iam also a new user of linux mint julia, iam finding it ok, but im not able to play any video for more than few minutes, it gets stuck i dont know why
    help
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Where are you playing the video from, CD, DVD, Web? What type pf video is it.

Can you tell us step by step, starting from the point you hit play, what happens?
  • anand44
    anand44 Posts: 11
    mode wrote:

You don't have to leave Windows to install Linux. My suggestion is that you should download the Ubuntu 11.04 releasing on 28th April & install it from making a live usb through unetbootin download it from here http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-windows-latest.exe, the steps are provided in this linkhttp://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unetbootin-to-create-a-live-usb-linux/
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If you have the ability to do a dual boot install, it's the better way to install Linux. Whether from a pendrive, CD or DVD. And yes, when booting, you will see a prompt asking which OS to boot. I use EasyBCD for dual booting Windows 7 and Fedora, if your using Windows XP, just let the installer set up grub as your bootloader and your all set to go.

Categories

Upcoming Training