Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

compress iso for windows xp backup

I want to use linux to image a windows hard drive and save the .iso to a dvd disk how do I do that? windows hard dive is 200gb my dvd is 4.1gb. Remastersys has compresstion for the iso but dont want a copy of the live cd along with the windows image. If I use the dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/hardrive.iso bs=1024 command the image is to large for the dvd. someone told me i could try

mkisofs -V LABEL -r DIRECTORY | gzip > cdrom.iso.gz—creates a compressed ISO for easy backup (replace the italicized sections with your CD label and directory, of course)

but i just want to be able to put in the cd and use the live cd with

dd if=/CDROM/hardrive.iso of=/dev/hda

to restore the image

Someone else told me to try a CramFs but they nor I know know how to make one.

Or type "mkisofs -o /tmp/cd.iso /tmp/directory/" To make an ISO from files on your hard drive

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Please don't post the same question in 2 different forums. You get the same exposure posting once.

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer to your question, hopefully some else will come by with the answer.

BTW - I deleted your other post so the discussion remains in one thread.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    It is unlikely that you will be able to fit that 200GB image on a 4GB DVD, even if you compress it. Depending upon how empty the 200gb drive is, you might be able to compress it enough to fit on a 32gb SD card. It won't be an iso image, however. It will be better - a bit-image (true) copy of the entire disc. I do this regularly to backup my system discs. A 250GB Linux system disc for my laptop compresses to a bit over 20GB using gzip. bzip2 compresses quite a bit better, but it is a lot more CPU intensive and slower. It's the old time vs. space problem... :-)
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    There's no way you can fit 200gb into a DVD (the odds of that are close to 0 ).

You'll have to rethink the way you backup things

Categories

Upcoming Training