Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

upgrade my website without disturbing current load

Hi All,

I am working as Linux administrator.

I want to upgrade my website .

My web site is imade in eZ publish.

my database is in phpmyadmin

I want to modify my database.

what should i do for modifying my database?

Thanks

Kushal

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    phpmyadmin is just an administrative console. Most likely your database is under mysql, you should be able to read to mysql manual to learn the correct syntax to modify your records and tables.
  • but i dont know mysql .
    :(
  • 5slight
    5slight Posts: 10
    w3schools is very useful for anything related to web design. They show how to use most of the basic functions you would need for any SQL database server. I also use phpmyadmin and its very good. it depends on what you want to change but it shouldn't effect your website to much for must things you would want to do. Unless you drop a table :\.
  • how can i modify database on phpmyadmin ?
  • mpalmeruk
    mpalmeruk Posts: 26
    Hi Kushai,

How do you want to modify your database?. Do you mean upgrade or change the schema, or do you mean change the database type??

Most RPM based upgrades are pretty quick. what is the traffic like to your site. could it suffer a 'blip'?

If you mean upgrade whilst running your mileage may vary using several different approaches, what is the main balance of traffic to your site, is it more reads or writes? Can your site function in a read only manner for a small period of time?:

you could create a readonly MySQL replica (slave) on the same server using mysqld_multi(or do a dual install of MySQL). present the slave port to your web frontend.

Do the upgrade on your original MySQL server in the meantime. Drop the replica and repoint your webserver at the original MySQL port.

I've done this in several installations where appropriate and its worked great!

Another thing you could look into is caching the main pages to your site.
  • @mpalmeruk

thnkx

i want to upgrade database , i dont want to change its type .

we have heavy traffic on site

yes but how to do all this task ?
    i mean how to create replica & all

how to create "readonly MySQL replica (slave) on the same server using mysqld_mult" ?

can u tell in detail?

how to do a dual install of MySQL?
  • @Sam Light

thnkx buddy
    w3school is very useful to me
    :)
  • mpalmeruk
    mpalmeruk Posts: 26
    Hi,

can you let me know your distro, whether u installed MySQL from source or RPM/apt-get. Which version of MySQL you are on currently and which version you are attempting to jump to.

thanks

Matt
  • Hi

my mysql version is MySQL 5.1.10

see we are using eZpublish version 4.3
    Now i want to upgrade eZpublish version 4.5 without disturbing code & database .
  • mfillpot
    You can setup a new schema with read-only rights for all but the admin, then you can dump the contents of the existing schema into the new schema with "mysqldump originalschema>mysql newschema". You may need to change the command slightly for your needs, so may sure to read the manual for mysqldump to find the applicable criteria.
  • Hi
    my current site is using eZpublish 4.3 version
    I upgraded its version to 4.5
    but problem is that it is generating new database .
    i want to work on my old database with new version 4.5
    if i upload old database to new then my site is not working
  • I am getting this error after upgrading eZpublish version from 4.3 to 4.5

EZSW-004
    Failed inserting data to mysql
    Table 'ezapprove_items' already exists
  • mfillpot
    That is a very literal error message, the upgrade is attempting to build a new table under the same name as an existing table. There are numerous ways to work around this depending on the potential for table structure changes. I recommend replicating the table to a new name, deleting the existing table, allowing the script to create the new table then appending the data from the old table to the new one.
  • i did this thing ...after that i am facing same problem for 3 more table .......then again same table error come
  • mfillpot
    At this point it sounds like you are using an installation script rather than an upgrade script. The difference is that an installer will attempt to build a new structure which yours is doing and an upgrade script will only modify the tables to the new format.

If what you are attempting to do is following the upgrade script from the project then I recommend contacting the project developers to alert them of the issue so they can work with you to find a stable solution.
  • I had downloaded eZpublish 4.5 version from internet
    then i had overwrite it in my folder "/var/www/testeZ/"
    then when i access my site
    "http://192.168.1.206/testeZ/index.php"
    it is showing setup wizard .............at the end i got this error

EZSW-004

I am not understanding difference between installation script and upgrade script.
  • Site info:

Site package - plain_site
    Title - Plain site
    URL - http://192.168.1.206/testeZ/index.php/plain_site
    Admin URL - http://192.168.1.206/testeZ/index.php/plain_site_admin
    Access type - url
    Access value - plain_site

Web server info:
    Version - Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)

PHP info:
    Version - 5.3.4

OS info
    Name - Linux linserver2.jzero.com 2.6.18-194.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Mar 16 22:00:21 EDT 2010 i686
    CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
    CPU Speed - 1600.000 MHz
    Memory Size - 4212879360 (3.92 GB)

Database info:
    Type - MySQL Improved
    Driver - ezmysqli

Email info:
    Transport - sendmail

Image conversion:
    ImageMagick was found and used.
    Path - /usr/bin
    Executable - convert
    ImageGD extension was found and used.

Regional info:
    Primary - eng-US
    Additional - eng-US

Critical tests

directory_permissions - Success
    phpversion - Success
    database_extensions - Success
    image_conversion - Success
    safe_mode - Success
    memory_limit - Success
    execution_time - Success
    magic_quotes_runtime - Success
    allow_url_fopen - Success
    accept_path_info - Success
    php_session - Success
    file_upload - Success
    zlib_extension - Success
    dom_extension - Success
    iconv_extension - Success
    mbstring_extension - Success
    timezone - Success
    ezcversion - Success

Other tests:

variables_order - Failure
    php_magicquotes - Success
    curl_extension - Success
    imagegd_extension - Success
    imagemagick_program - Success
    database_all_extensions - Success
    php_register_globals - Success
    texttoimage_functions - Success
    open_basedir - Success
  • plz tell me how can i solve this problem >?
  • i got this error during eZpublish upgradation from 4.3 to 4.5

EZSW-004
  • mfillpot
    You can start by reading the official upgrade documentation at Ezpublish's website at http://doc.ez.no/eZ-Publish/Upgrading , most likely you will need to perform two upgrades, 4.3 -> 4.4 and 4.4 -> 4.5
  • I have already gone though this link

i am not getting ezpublish 4.4 version
  • please reply me soon ........its urgent
  • mfillpot
    kushallinux wrote:
    I have already gone though this link

i am not getting ezpublish 4.4 version

If you had run the scripts in the upgrade documentation, then you would not have gotten error referring to created pre-existing tables. Due to the unknown differences between the 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5, it is recommended to do incremental upgrades from 4.3 to 4.5 to guarantee that all necessary changes have been made.

Since I am not a paying customer for this software like yourself, I can only recommend actions based upon the information given. Your current list of changes appears to have differed from their recommend actions. Hopefully with the purchase of the software license you have included support, I recommend contacting the company through their inquiry submission form at http://ez.no/Requests/Contact-Us to request their assistance with your problem, they should be able to patiently walk you through the necessary modifications.
  • i hv already sent them my qurey ...but no reply :(
  • mfillpot
    kushallinux wrote:
    i hv already sent them my qurey ...but no reply :(

Have you attempted to call their contact phone numbers from the bottom of their website?
  • No , its international call :(
  • mfillpot
    With paid software it is much harder to find assistance because only paid customers have access to the complete code, database structure and required libraries to properly analyze the issues and potential resolutions. Unfortunately I am unwilling to pay for software to assist a company's customer when their support has failed.

At this point because you have already shown us the error message stating that the configuration is damaged, I would recommend copying the past schema tables into a new schema, removing the old schema and all code from Ezpublish, reinstalling everything then attempting to populate the new schema tables with the old data. This is not the easiest or cleanest method and it is possible that the old data will not work in the new format, but without official support you are left with very few alternatives.
  • mfillpot
    Or you can pay a local IT professional as a consultant to work on resolving the issues for you.
  • actually my company is taken me to solve linux related problems
    so i cant heir any consultant
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    kushallinux wrote:
    actually my company is taken me to solve linux related problems
    so i cant heir any consultant

No ofense man but... they might need to to hire someone else. I don't mean to be rude, just pointing the obvious.

That or... work, work,work, work, work. And when you think you've got it all managed: work harder!!!

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training