Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

lilo issues in slampp

I am trying slampp and have run into issues configuring lilo.

the zenwalk file installer completes then when it takes me to configure lilo I do everything as expected but I keep getting an installation failure

I check the log file and all it refers to is a "splash bitmap"

the last line on the report says "fatal: unsupported bitmap"

if someone could give me an idea or a work around I would greatly appreciate it

thank you

SS

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can turn off the bitmap because it appears the default video support for your video card does not support either the size of colors of the selected bitmap.
  • this may seem like a dumb question but doesn't the video or graphics adapter handle the same job in a live dvd boot?
    I can run from a live dvd just fine but the lilo config is giving problems
    sorry I am a WINtard trying to mend my ways
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Using Live CD's the graphics are usually handled by a generic driver line Vesa, unless the distro you are using has their own approach. When you install, a driver like Nouveau or Radeon or Intel may take over, if, your card is read correctly by the distros installer. I'm certainly not an expert on how each different distro sets up their Live CD's, but I've booted up many Live CD's in my time, and that seems to be what is happening.
    I've never used lilo, so, you'll have to wait till someone who has can answer your questions specific to lilo.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    hammerhead8599 wrote:
    this may seem like a dumb question but doesn't the video or graphics adapter handle the same job in a live dvd boot?
    I can run from a live dvd just fine but the lilo config is giving problems
    sorry I am a WINtard trying to mend my ways

Both should handle the video the same, however the liveCD may be using another bootloader or configuration. Lilo only supports a limited color set and resolution using the vesa driver, in my experiences it cannot support splash images as well as grub.

Have you tried to disable the bitmap in your configuration file to see if it loads successfully?

Categories

Upcoming Training