Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Static IP Address & joining a 2008 server domain.

I'm currently running Ubuntu server 10.10 with ubuntu-desktop installed,(which is gnome I believe)

It seemed like a simple task to set a static IP in the gui, however I was not successful lol. I went to administration > network tools. Found my network card and added a static IP, but i'm still using a dynamic IP instead of my static one. What did I do wrong?

Second, I've found two programs to join a windows 2008 server domain, I'm trying to avoid using WINS for the sake of proving my network professor wrong lol. Centrify that we see adds regarding, and then likewise-open. Likewise claimed to have worked, but it's hard to tell since it's still picking up a IP from the DHCP server.

So my second question is basically the best program to use to join a windows 2008 server domain without running WINS on the windows server.

Comments

• RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    Also if someone could move this post to the Network forums, Sorry for putting it in the wrong spot.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Go to System->Administration->Network not Network Tools. Click on the "Click to make changes" icon, enter your password, then go to the "Connections" tab, double-click on the "Wired connection" entry, select the "Configuration" drop-down and select (it should show "Automatic configuration (DHCP) " ) "Static IP address". That will enable the fields for IP address, Subnet mask, and Gateway address. Fill those in, and finally, make sure the "Enable this connection" box is checked, click the Ok button, and close the tool. So, I am probably telling you something you already did... :-)

The last thing you need to do is restart the network services, so open a terminal window, cd to /etc/init.d, and execute this command: sudo ./networking restart
    Restarting the network services will drop your dhcp connection and restart the network interface with the new static IP address. To verify that this was done, execute the command: sudo ifconfig -a
    That will show you what your eth0 connection is using for an IPv4 address.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    your right I did do that, however I did not do that last part, lol. Thank you!

Categories

Upcoming Training