Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

linux suggestion.

hi ,i am new to linux and i have heard a lot about it..can anyone suggest which will be better redhat,ubuntu or fedora to be installed?

Comments

• odlevakp
    odlevakp Posts: 29
    As a beginner if you stick with the “big players” you can't go wrong... that would be Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, Debian... as a KDE user I recommend Kubuntu or the Fedora KDE spin … if you can wait the new openSUSE 11.4 will be out in a few hours :woohoo:
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    As a first time user, try ubuntu which uses Gnome.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I agree with the Ubuntu suggestion. I would also recommend Mint ... which is Ubuntu made easier.
  • thanx guys for your suggestion.....
    i installed ubuntu 10.10 today..
    it looked nice.....but i think its little slow.....
    and one more thing.........guys plz tell me how to install a downloaded software ......
    and i want to know more about linux.........any tutorial or study material,book recomendation????
  • odlevakp
    odlevakp Posts: 29
    well since you have installed Ubuntu the official Ubuntu documentation or the community contributed documentation would be a good start ... there is also a Learn Linux section here on linux.com...
  • thanx ........
    it looks helpful....................
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    What kind of software is it, .tar.gz, .deb?
  • ak kumar
    ak kumar Posts: 2
    if you are completly new to linux then you must starting with Fedora for knowing about how to work in linux enviourment.Because Fedora Project is started by the redhat, and it is veryeasy to work and learn.so i am recommend u to start with fedora distro of REDHAT.
  • E.Ville
    E.Ville Posts: 2
    cyberkid1987 wrote:
    thanx guys for your suggestion.....
    i installed ubuntu 10.10 today..
    it looked nice.....but i think its little slow.....
    and one more thing.........guys plz tell me how to install a downloaded software ......
    and i want to know more about linux.........any tutorial or study material,book recomendation????

If Ubuntu is to slow for your tastes I recommend Linux Mint or Xubuntu, both are lightweight variations upon Ubuntu.
    If you want to install software on Ubuntu it's alway easiest to use the Ubuntu Software Center, found under applications or by using apt-get from the command line.
    To really learn Linux would suggest reading a few quick-start guides, I saw someone already posted a couple and to just experiment from there on onwards. Remember: the man command is your friend. (man i short for manual, man 'command' gives a good explanation of 'command' )

And also: don't be afraid to ask for help, the Linux/Ubuntu community is always willing to help.

Categories

Upcoming Training