Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Learning Linux and Linux careers

Hi everyone,

I'm new. I know very little about Linux but I'm actually here to ask some questions for a friend. She's seeking a dramatic career change and wants to start learning Linux (she has no programming experience). She abandoned Windows during the dark ages of IE6 and has been using Linux since. Originally just for the sake of having a functional OS she's now interested in potentially going more into Linux and I'm trying to do research to understand what career opportunities are out there, Linux related.

I'm a front-end developer myself (html, css, js, etc). As far as I can tell Linux is often dealt with in terms of server management. Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Before we start, what does your friend want to do in her new career using linux? Linux is involved in many areas of IT. It depends on what you want it to do.
  • saqman2060 wrote:
    Before we start, what does your friend want to do in her new career using linux? Linux is involved in many areas of IT. It depends on what you want it to do.

Neither of us really know enough to say. That's really what i'm trying to find out. What kinds of careers or areas in IT are there regarding Linux?
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    To give a brief summary, they are programming careers for those who are experience using c++, python, perl and ruby. There is web development, linux administration, network administration, system security, project management (linux projects) which is top of the food chain, and server administration. Pretty much, linux can work with anything in IT. App development and system administration(regarding thin clients) are the big ones.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    In this currently technological period it is safe to say that there are far more opportunities in the Liunx/Unix field than there are for windows users. Linux based system are used expensively for networking, servers, mobile communications and embedded systems. The desktop side of IT is currently windows' domain, but mobile devices, web servers, security servers, database systems and more are dominated by Linux and other Unix-Like systems. I recommend for your friend to determine what she has the greatest interest in rather than looking for a blanket subject and follow the best course to pursue a career in her preferred field and working on here preferred systems.

If you can share the subjects that she has the most interest in then we can give you some specific career paths for her to research.
  • technocp
    technocp Posts: 5
    estevancarlos wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new. I know very little about Linux but I'm actually here to ask some questions for a friend. She's seeking a dramatic career change and wants to start learning Linux (she has no programming experience). She abandoned Windows during the dark ages of IE6 and has been using Linux since. Originally just for the sake of having a functional OS she's now interested in potentially going more into Linux and I'm trying to do research to understand what career opportunities are out there, Linux related.

I'm a front-end developer myself (html, css, js, etc). As far as I can tell Linux is often dealt with in terms of server management. Can anyone shed some more light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

As you said she has been working on Linux what is the type of know how she has. I mean is she a Desktop application type of user or she is interested in programming on Linux or she is interested in system administration stuff.

There are many enterprises in India who are using Linux on desktops so there are bright chances of getting a job for Desktop Application user as well but more of the probablities are with Linux Administration and Programming. Do write more on the topic.
  • ak kumar
    ak kumar Posts: 2
    In linux Enviourments there is a lots of oppurtinites for u.It depends on u and ur intrest in which area u want to explore urself.
  • jlee1546
    jlee1546 Posts: 3
    I am currently enrolled in a Linux/Unix Network Administration Associate degree program. Being a single father, and because of finances, an Associates degree is the best that I can do right now. I figure it is better than nothing.

My instructors are telling me that I need to learn Windows Network Administration first. Supposedly, as "they" say, I will not be employable with only Linux/Unix skills. I was told that to work in the Atlanta market Windows networking is indispensable. Now, is this true?

Also, I am learning shell scripting and Python. I am a beginner with both. However, I live, eat, and breath this stuff. I am making progress.

I do not solely depend upon my school work to learn. I try to read books, man pages, and the like in order to further my knowledge. Can anyone give me some advice on what else I can learn to make myself more "employable?"

My problem is that I have become so enamored by Linux that I have dropped Windows and went strictly to the other side of the fence. Again, my instructors warn me against this. However, I am just doing what is of interest to me and following my passions. A year ago I was working in the landscaping industry. never once did I dream that I would be back in school, using Linux, learning about a language named after a snake, or, for that matter, even know what a kernel was.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Remember, though, I am a single dad working with limited and depleting resources.

Categories

Upcoming Training