Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux on a USB

I've been thinking about getting Linux and using it on a USB but I'm not sure how it will work on a USB as I have never used Linux before. I wanted to get Linux so I could play games on it and not have any of the games interfere with the host computer I'm using. Would it be possible to use a USB that has Linux on a Windows computers? Well, I think that the Linux runs off the USB but I'm not sure. Also if I have a USB with a U3 system is that the same as having a Linux system?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can install a Read-only Linux filesystem on a USB drive for a secure and potable mobile system. However your goal use on multiple systems may make gaming questionable and on a per computer basis.

In most cases you will need to remove the entire filesystem and all files from the USB drive to make it a bootable Linux disk.
  • Well... can I use Linux right off my USB without affecting the main OS that the host computer has? Or will it even let me is the question. Its a school computer.
  • mfillpot
    rexdino5 wrote:
    Well... can I use Linux right off my USB without affecting the main OS that the host computer has? Or will it even let me is the question. Its a school computer.

You are correct, when you run an OS from a Live medium you do not affect the disks on the host machine, but you can access the disks and buypass the windows file permissions, so your IT department may still consider it a security risk and have rules against that type of use.
  • So just to make sure I get this correct, your basically saying that if I did manage to open a OS on the school computer, that I might be violating security rules, and I might get in trouble. Right?
  • mfillpot
    rexdino5 wrote:
    So just to make sure I get this correct, your basically saying that if I did manage to open a OS on the school computer, that I might be violating security rules, and I might get in trouble. Right?

That is correct, you may want to speak with IT representatives at your school to see if the use would be allowed.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    There are a number of ways to install Linux on a thumb drive so that it can run directly without accessing the system discs or files. For example, Ubuntu will allow you to install it on a thumb drive, and if the drive is 4GB or bigger, it will also allow you to allocate some of that space for writable data storage. There is also a tool call Unetbootin which can take just about any distribution ISO image and turn it into a live USB drive, just like a live CD/DVD. You can get Unetbootin here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Just remember to check with the school about using the system this way. If you make your case, they should allow it, but remember that a live USB distribution can also install itself on the system hard drive if you want to, which would not be a "good thing"... :-)
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    You can install a live distro on your usb without loosing your current data. Does your school have a sandbox classroom where the student learn and tinker with computers? If so, you may be able to plea that you want to show something new to the class that can help them better their understandings of computers.

http://www.slax.org/build.php
  • Tom21212
    Tom21212 Posts: 1
    I remember putting linux mint on a 8gb stick, when into school and it worked :D.
    So, its possible. If your on windows, use UNetBootin and choose your OS and you have a
    live USB stick.

Categories

Upcoming Training