Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

BeagleBoard

Options

hello i have come to seek help, i would like to make a small computer with a beagleboard that uses linux. i would like information on how to do this, things to look out for, and necessary drivers.

frankly this idea just popped into my head tonight so i know nothing about beagleboard and only a little about linux. if you can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate that.

end result, i want a computer that can function without a monitor. i want to be able to carry it around and using voice commands (or small keyboard commands) can play music, record audio, or record video from a webcam.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I have not used a beagelboard nor know the specific hardware included. We may have someone with experience come in here to help, but most likely your best bet would be to use the beagleboard online community at http://beagleboard.org/discuss , by going to their irc channel #beagle on irc.freenode.net you can talk to other users in real-time.
  • disi
    disi Posts: 11
    Options
    The beagle board has an arm based CPU, which renders many Distribution useless. As far as I know the following distros support your CPU:
    Gentoo, Debian, LFS

The Slackware and Debian builts for ARM are only CHOST armv6, I think.

Have a look at neuvoo, they port Gentoo especially to the Touchbook which uses the beagleboard and they provide a toolchain for armv7a. If you want a graphical user interface is up to you in Gentoo ;)

http://neuvoo.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

hope that helps...
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    That sounds like a fun project , wish you best of luck.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    I also sounds like you want to build your own personal mobile audio box. Why try something so complex, why not just purchase an ipod or RCA?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    I develop software for ARM board with Debian Linux. They are really fine! However, I haven't tried the Beagle Board - I am using PC-104 ARM boards from Technologic Systems (www.embeddedarm.com). In any case, the biggest issue for you will be (IMO) developing device drivers for the voice recognition stuff. The board I use for development has USB, Ethernet, RS-232, SD Card interfaces, as well as tonnes of analog and digital I/O.

Categories

Upcoming Training