Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Download youtube videos through the terminal

I tried the following command in the ubuntu for downloading the youtube videos:

youtube-dl "URL"

or if we want to specify the file extension :

youtube-dl -o filename.flv "URL"

This being the most recommended command, doesn't work. It says format is not supported.

Moreover I again tried the command :

wget -c "URL"

But this command also doesn't work . Can anyone help me with this problem???

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Please post the entire URL that you are trying to download.
  • You can take any URL of the youtube channel. Suppose for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QqT38QRA84
  • Moreover my adobe flash player is not working because ...
    I think its because i tried the command in the terminal :

sudo apt-get update

this tries to get new updates for my ubuntu 10.10 but even though i'm trying a lot to install the new adobe flash player 10 but it's not working. Can you suggest any command that I can type in the terminal to get the adobe flash player 10 through the terminal. Because the terminal is more effective than the "synaptic package manager" or " ubuntu software center" applications... i think so...
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I tried to download the save video and received the same message, however when I upgraded to the latest version of youtube-dl the file format issue was corrected. Can you please run "youtube-dl -v" to get the version number and share that with us so we can determine if that is the cause?
  • I sorry i bothered you so much ... At the time i posted this question the youtube in our network was working but now it's not. When it was working i tried and came to see the error. But I'm really sorry i cannot check it out now. Because the youtube is blocked again in our network. So I cannot say you whether the command youtube-dl -v is really working or not. If youtube again works in our network then I assure you to inform you at once.
    And well... thank you for your reply
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    morean51 wrote:
    then what is the direct way to download youtube video thank you in advance
    First install the script youtube-dl mentioned earlier in the thread; on Ubuntu the command is
    sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

You can then use youtube-dl to download the clip associated with a given youtube URL, e.g.:
    youtube-dl "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xAKttWgP4"

The output file is a flash video, and should be playable with e.g. mplayer and vlc, or you can convert it to other formats using ffmpeg or mencoder.

Categories

Upcoming Training