Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

CentOS issue

is there a reason I would have a problem installing CentOS 5.5 netinstall x86_64 bit version on a system with Ubuntu server 10.10 already on it?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    As long as space it available you should not have any issues with installation.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    ok I was attempting it at school last night and was not able to install centos for some reason. I'm currently on a dual boot system with windows 7 and ubuntu server. I'm going to make this a quad boot system with Windows 7, Ubuntu Server, CentOS, and Windows 2008 Server.

Soon as I get a chance i'll attempt the install again and write down the error message I get so you guys will have a better idea of what might be causing it.
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    Richard,

It would also help to know your drive/partitioning scheme. In other words... How many hard drives? How big? How many partitions? Size of partitions? Etc.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    1x1TB drive, 600 GB to Windows 7, 100 GB each to the rest with a 13GB swap space (I know the swap space is rediculous).
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The resources sound sufficient, we will need to see your error messages to help further.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Actually the problem is a conflict between grub (used for CentOS) and grub2 (used for Ubuntu 10.x). This is what is likely causing your kerfuffle. Fixing it may be a problem and I avoid dual-booting my systems for just this sort of problem Instead, I have swappable system drives in a hot-plug carrier. I usually run other operating systems in a virtual machine, but for times when I need direct access to the system hardware, I just shut down the system, swap the system drive, and restart it.

Doh! Double posted this reply (more or less)... I thought I had hit the "cancel" button.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    This is likely a conflict between grub (CentOS) and grub2 (Ubuntu) boot loaders. This is one of the reasons I never dual-boot a system, but either run other operating systems in a virtual machine, or if I need direct access to the hardware, I have hot-swap system drives that I can swap out as necessary. In fact, I have three such. For about $75 each for a 320GB system drive and carrier, the price is decent. My biggest problem is finding the key... :-)

Categories

Upcoming Training