Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

KlamAV, Real or not???

I wasn't able to copy and paste the list for some reason from KlamAV but then again I am new to linux, I had a good handful, maybe 10 different file that was heuristics something something that klamav popped up with. Are these real viruses? Do you need more information to tell me if they are? Let me know.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can check the list of identified viri on symantec's website (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/threatexplorer/azlisting.jsp) to determine what kind of virus they are and what they do. Most likely clamav detected windows based viri, which cann't effect you linux based system but should be cleaned to eliminate the potential of spreading those viri to windows based hosts.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    they weren't in any windows directories only linux ones, i'll check the website tho. How do I copy and paste the list?
  • mfillpot
    It doesn't matter which directories they were in. A windows based viri can be downloaded onto a Linux machine, but it cannot execute on a Linux machine, they are treated as normal files until they are opened on a windows based machine.

As for copy and past and I unfamiliar with the GUI you are using so I cannot guide you, most likely the program has an option to output a cleartext log of detected infections that you could copy and paste from.
  • While most of the people who have responded here are mostly right, there is one thing people are neglecting.

Yes, it is true that a Windows virus cannot do much, if any, damage to a Linux install. However, these virii can still run if you execute it through Wine. There's no harm in it, though, since Wine is just a Windows emulator, I just thought it should be addressed that there is an exception to the "exe files can't be run on Linux".
  • RickSMO
    Ok every morning after my virus scan has run, I wake up to these errors when it tries to quarantine them. I was hoping some of the files may look familiar to the people here more familiar with linux. Diskspace is not a issue. Don't know why keep getting this, it is very annoying.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/2.6.x/fglrx.o. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/2.6.x/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/2.6.35-25-server/x86_64/module/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-server/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /usr/src/fglrx-8.780/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /usr/src/fglrx-8.780/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-server/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /lib64/modules/2.6.35-25-server/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /usr/src/fglrx-8.780/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /usr/src/fglrx-8.780/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC3. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/2.6.x/fglrx.o. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/build/2.6.x/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.

There was a problem quarantining /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.780/2.6.35-25-server/x86_64/module/fglrx.ko. Check your diskspace, the permissions on your quarantine location and whether a file with the same name already exists in the quarantine.
  • mfillpot
    Those are all the files needed for the ATI video cards to run 3d acceleration. You should check your settings and tell clamav to ignore these files.

Also have you checked the permissions and contents of the quarantine directory to confirm that the permissions are correct and that the files listed above are not already in that directory?
  • RickSMO
    makes sense i'll do both of those, thanks for telling me what they are. Appreciate your help once again.

Categories

Upcoming Training