Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

No volume icon no sound in Puppy Linux

So Im a noob who with no previous experience managed to get Puppy LInux 5.2 up and running after a full install.

There is no volume icon. Why? I have no sound in the speakers or in the headphones and no master volume. ALSA the sound card reader says it detects four sound cards. Does this program after selecting a sound card give a volume icon control? It hasnt done so. So i downloaded retrovol the program and got the tgz unzipped and the pet file is downloaded too. Neither work. Where do I type $/.configure, $make, $make install to get programs to work on this new OS?

Any ideas on how to get the sound up and running as well as how to get new downloaded programs to work would be great. Puppy Linux 5.2 comes with a program that unzips the tgz files so I can put them in folders in areas of my hard drive. But I dont know how to run the programs.

So two questions: 1) How to get volume control(sound) and how to install/run new programs. (Wine 1.3.9) apparently works after I unzipped the tgz file(I was able to access windows programs somewhat on a CD)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The volume icon is not present because some dependency has not been met, this could be a library file or an icon set, you will have to check you error logs in /var/log to determine what is wrong.

In puppy the package installation files end with .pet, the can be installed from the command line on a single package basis or downloaded similar to ubuntu's functions by using the puppy package manager. You can find more information at http://www.puppylinux.com/development/package-management.htm

Wine works for some programs, but you will need to check the appdb at www.winehq.org to find the compatibility list, can you tell us what app you are trying to run?
  • Sbagen and Audacity are the only programs I want.

The reason for this computer are generating binaural beats in .wav and mp3 format. That's it. I dont want anything else. Its all about the sound file.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Based upon the missing icon, I think that some part of the installation disk was corrupt from the burn. Did you do a disk verification on the installation disk when it was complete?

As for the audio issues, lets address that on you thread about the audio card to keep the responses simple and separated.

Categories

Upcoming Training