Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to install from a CD

I am new to Linux...

This question is so basic... assumed it is common knowledge.

I am reading books and tutorials and cannot find the answer

But I am trying for the last 6 hours

I am trying to install some software from a CD,

Obviously my syntax is total nonsense, I tried all sorts of variations.

The file install_tools is a script file

root@dan-HP-Vectra:/home/dan# apt-get install /media/EmbeddedLinux/install_tools

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package /media/EmbeddedLinux

root@dan-HP-Vectra:/home/dan#

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Please tell us what distro you are using and if the packages on the CD are from an official distro disk or one you created yourself that only contains packages.
  • It is Ubuntu
    I am trying to install a cross compiler for an ARM processor from Intellimetrix.
    They assume that everybody knows how to do that and do not provide any support.
    This is so basic, that it is not even covered in a "Linux for Beginners" book.

Thanks
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can find details on various package installation methods at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#Installing downloaded packages , the link I provided anchors to the downloaded packages section which should cover your needs.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You didn't answer mfillpot's questions about the CD. If it is an official disk and all the dependencies are contained on it, maybe just cd'ing to the folder and then doing apt-get install may work.
    cd /dev/sr0

Brings you to the CD
    cd /EmbeddedLinux/install_tools

To get you to the folder
    apt-get install install_tools

To do the install.

This may or may not work, but it's worth a try. Let us know how you make out.
  • "E: Unable to locate package /media/EmbeddedLinux"

I believe you are representing the entire path as the package to install. Do what goinEasy9 has suggested. Change your current DIR to that of the CD and type:
    # sudo apt-get install <name of package>

Categories

Upcoming Training