Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

/etc/network/interfaces, 'broadcast'

What is the 'broadcast' under an interface (such as eth0)? The example config shows 192.168.1.0 for broadcast. According to a not-as-straight-forward Google search, 'broadcast' is known as the Broadcast ID.

What is that? I have two external static IP addresses, and I was able to get all the information I needed (including for 'network'), except for 'broadcast' because the support tech. was not sure what "broadcast ID" is or was (and neither am I). What am I supposed to set it as? Is it a required line?

EDIT: Massive fail in another thread.

The broadcast is known, but the 'network' isn't. I am wanting to know what 'network' is, and what the value of it should be.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can get the broadcast address and other interface based information by running "ifconfig -a" in a root shell.
  • Broadcast ID is the total range of IP addresses that your network supports. It covers all the IP address combinations. For example: 192.168.1.255 is a broadcast ID. This means your network can have a total of 255 IP addresses.

192.168.1.0 is your network address. This cannot be assigned to a computer. Your router stores that information.
  • When your network interface asks for a broadcast address, substitute the "0s" in your network address with "255".

Categories

Upcoming Training