Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Auto boot to RDP

I've been browsing the many Linux setups but could not find exactly what I am looking for.

I'd like to boot a Linux kernel and be able to RDP to a windows computer. More specifically, I would like Linux to boot from a USB drive, display a small window where I would type in the computer name I want to connect to and press [ENTER] to connect.

If someone disconnects from the RDP session it would return to the Linux display asking for the next computer to connect to.

Is there a version of Linux / Ubuntu that does this?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• All linux machines are able to do this. There are some programs that will allow you to create a linux usb boot drive.

Here is a link to try: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

Ubuntu has an app that will allow you create bootable flashdrives. You can even create them during the installation of linux.

As for as RDP, depending on what distro you are using, in ubuntu go to, application>internet>terminal server. Once that is selected, you will see a window similar to windows RDP. Do not choose the RDP protocol, choose RDPv5 for RDP between windows and linux. OR if you are remoting to another linux machine, then RDP should be fine. It might be easier to use VNC. You can use it to remote any system platform.

Terminal server has tabs that allows you to configure how RDP should behave. Tinker with those setting o get the configuration that you want.
  • I REALLY appreciate your response--thanks. I think I am guilty of not giving enough information to get the correct answer--so sorry.

Let me try again:
    I used Universal USB installer and successfully made a bootable Ununtu device. This worked great. What I really want however is this:

1. To boot to a Linux kernel and when it boots it only displays a box where someone can type in a computer name.
    2. When they hit the enter key, they will connect to a Virtual Windows computer via RDP
    3. If they exit the windows session on the virtual computer they will be taken back to the Linux session and be presented with the same dialog box asking for a computer name.

In other words, I want to setup a diskless computer that someone can use to RDP to a virtual computer running Windows.

MY QUESTIONS:
    Is there a Linux version that works best for this?
    Has someone by any chance created a script that will act as the front end for the TSClient?

Again, I appreciate the chance to ask these questions. I've been Googling for answers and have only come up with more questions.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Since you only intend to use a Linux based distro as a terminal client to call into windows desktops I highly doubt that any distro has been developed since it would only utilize the kernel, X11 and a single application.

I think to accomplish your goal you will have to get your hands dirty and build a custom lightweight distro that contains only what you need.
    The best base i can think of for your needs would be to build the following:
    * A Linux kernel with all modules installed
    * A small set of network diagnostic tools to be used to establish and diagnose network problems.
    * X11
    * the GTK+ libraries
    * the rdesktop application
    * To build a GTK based application to display the dialog, pass the chosen credentials to rdesktop, then have it monitor to see if rdesktop is running (if it is not running then populate the dialog box again).
    * set autologin options to start in X11 under an unproveledged user who only has rights to the network tools and your custom application
    * to configure X11 to have a key shortcut to open xterm for network setup and diagnostics

This is a goal that I would not be willing to spend time on because you are avoiding many of the benefit of using a Linux based system by only using it as a port to access a window system and the window tools.

Most likely if you are unwilling to build all of this yourself, then the only option left to would be to pay a consultant or company to develop it for you.
  • There are several (half-dozen) that do just what you ask. Boot a CD to a login window and return to let you log in to that/another computer.

I have used PXES for years. It allow me to setup old desktop PCs (with new monitors) as terminals to Microsoft OSs.

Don't be discourage by the over complications that some of us are showing here.

Hope this helps
  • There is nothing complicated about your request. It does sound cool to have a linux distro that specifically boots to RDP and only that. If those who develop linux distros thought this would be worth the time and effort, they would have made one.

As a matter of fact, you don't need a custom made distro for this, you can use any distro with X11 that boots into a shell program and write a script that executes RDP. Even though it is running off a boot device, there is an option that allows you to save configurations from a live boot system. You will have to do some research which I am sure you don't mind.
  • mfillpot
    GCMartin wrote:
    There are several (half-dozen) that do just what you ask. Boot a CD to a login window and return to let you log in to that/another computer.

I have used PXES for years. It allow me to setup old desktop PCs (with new monitors) as terminals to Microsoft OSs.

Don't be discourage by the over complications that some of us are showing here.

Hope this helps

I had not thought about the use of a PXE bootable for this need, that is definitely a good idea.

Can you please share the names and websites of some of the distros that have this capability?
  • Sorry for the delay. Google "PXES RDP" you will find the standalone one I use as well as links to others that are standalone and to the same thing, too. These are Linux solutions to achieve what you ask....easy and free!

As well, there are LiveCD/DVD approaches there too. I use the LiveCDs because some of the older PCs do not have LAN support via the motherboard/there are BIOS issues with others. LiveCD always works.

Hope this helps
  • mfillpot
    G C Martin,
    Thank you for sharing, even though I am not the original poster I will try some of the solutions found in the web search to test functionality.

Categories

Upcoming Training