Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

how do I download Skype???

:huh: I have a netbook with Linux but it doesn't have a Skype icone like my other netbok withLinux. I tried to download it but I have two problems.

1) I don't know wich version or whatever it's called I have: ubuntu...??? and I can't find any info about this on my computer!?

2) Which ever one of the versions I try to download it seems to be downloading but then ends up being just a window full of text!? I don't know what to do...

Please help me somebody if it's possible to explaing how I ca get Skype. I use it everyday to cll my grandma in Sweden and right now she's very sad that I can't call her...

//Linda

Comments

• corec
    corec Posts: 18
    If you're using Ubuntu it might be in Ubuntu software center so you could search for it in there and just click the install button. If its in the repos you could just open up a terminal and type
    Sudo apt-get install Skype

Or it might not go by that exact name but the terminal would display suggestions similar to what you typed so just type
    sudo apt-get install {package name}

Then just give your password.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If you have a Ubuntu version over 8.10, then your good to go (and you probably do). Just pick either 32 or 64 bit, depending on what you have running. You can see what kernel your running by running (in a terminal):
    uname -a

It would also be helpful to know how your downloading it (which browser?), and, trying to install it (from the browser or using apt or synaptic?).

The link to download Skype is here:
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/post-download/
    You just need to click on the right version, let it download, then open it it chrome, or, double click the item in the download window in Firefox.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.
  • You are using ubuntu netbook. I do not know if netbook ubuntu works like the desktop version so it might be more of an experiment.

First see what kind of system you are using 32bit-64bit by typing uname-a in the terminal

Then see if you have a ubuntu software system menu in the applications menu. Click on it, type skype in the search box. IF you find the skype system package, not extensions or upgrade, then select to install it.

You can even go to synaptic package manager, and look for skype there the same way you would in the ubuntu software center.

Install it through the terminal by typing: sudo apt-get install skype. The tricky part of this is that you would need to know the actual name of the package.

Last you can download it from the internet. Here is the site: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/post-download/. Select download the beta for linux. On the download page, it gives you the option to pick with linux OS you want to download it for. Since you are using ubuntu, choose either 32bit or 64bit. The range starts from 8.10 and above for both system types. When you choose your system type, you will download the .deb packed which will install itself.

Categories

Upcoming Training