Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

manual android update

I received a netbook for christmas that is running version 1.9, and I don't know how to update it. I cannot find a brand name anywhere on it and there does not appear to be any sort of built in updater, so I assume I need to 'root it,' so any advise would really be appreciated.

Sidenote: has anyone else had a problem with the wifi systems settings menu and/or the youtube app repeatedly crashing?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    When running an android based device it is best to wait for the Over The Air (OTA) updates, those updates are provided by the device manufacturer in which you will receive a notification in the top panel when they are available. The reason that I say it is best to wait for the OTA updates is because they are provided by the manufacturer and will not void your warranty.

However if you can find a rooted version online you can install it, but you run the risk of having malicious programs running the the background, voiding your warranty and having unknown stability issues.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Matt is correct about rooting and the possible consequences. But what kind of netbook has no markings? Could you look through the settings and see if there is any more information. It might be in the "About" section.
    Also check underneath the netbook and see if there are any serial numbers etc., just curious.
  • Goineasy9 wrote:
    Matt is correct about rooting and the possible consequences. But what kind of netbook has no markings? Could you look through the settings and see if there is any more information. It might be in the "About" section.
    Also check underneath the netbook and see if there are any serial numbers etc., just curious.

I am well aware of the possible consequences, but as I attempted to demonstrate, there is no OTA update in my future AFAIK. According to the about section, the brand is 'Generic.' It was bought from heartlandamerica.com (I'm not sure if the product is still up) and again I found no manufacturer. The manual also has no copyright or other identifying marks.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Well, 1.9 is pretty much "over the hill". My suggestion is to visit the android.com web site and read up on how to upgrade a system that is that far in the past. You can download the latest version (2.3) or earlier (Froyo - 2.2 is very stable). However, the success of this endeavor depends a lot upon the hardware your tablet boasts.

Finally, be aware that an upgrade this significant will change the appearance of your screens and will possibly require updating all of your applications. To do a manual update like this, you will first need to unlock the boot loader. Beware that an update that your system cannot handle may result in a "bricked" system, making it suitable for a doorstop and not a desktop... :-)
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Just one warning:
    If you root it you'll probably loose your warranty, hw manufacturer doesn't recognize warranty if you root your device, if you don't care you can do it.

Ben

Categories

Upcoming Training