Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

From Windows to Linux

Options

Hello! I am your latest newbie!

I changed from Windows XP to W7. I have had all sorts of problems - many programmes that ran in XP won't run in W7. I 'lost' a whole programme containing my complete collections - books, videos, cd's etc. I am not able to alter my photo library in each file - and so it goes on!

Very basically, I need to know if I were to change to Linux from Windows, what would be the disadvantages. This question probably begs a complicated answer - forgive me, just try to make it simple! Would I be 'doing the right thing'?

Thanks

Colin

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Give us a more detailed list of what you use your computer for, and, we'll tell you the advantages and/or problems you will encounter when moving to Linux. Most songs, videos, etc., work as well in Linux as they do in Windows, but, programs that were built for Windows that don't have a Linux equivalent are problematic. There are Open Source apps that take the place of most Windows programs, it just depends on what your using certain programs for.
    So, be more specific, and, we'll be more specific.

BTW - I have no problems using Linux for personal and business. I have no need for Windows unless if I'm asked to use a certain program specifically.
  • colinX
    Options
    Goineasy9,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Mainly emailing, music – jazz/blues/etc. ripping/burning CDs and DVDs, various programmes related to them that work with W7, webcam, anti spyware (4 programmes – 1 –AVG Free, is on all the time and the others are started up when required, about once a week). HP director for HP psc all in one printer, HP writer – on desktop, connected with USB mainly to use for Lightscribe facility, Google Earth, Picasa 3 photo programme, messengers-yahoo/windows live, Skype. Belarc Advisor.
    Nothing very technical!
    Obviously I do 'other things' but those are the main ones that come to mind!
    Regards
    Colin
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    OK, one at a time:

Emailing - No problem, there are many different ways of handling email, all are covered with Linux. There are even Open Source versions of Thunderbird and other email apps that are available in Windows.

Ripping/Burning CD's & DVD's - Again, there are many options, everyone seems to have a favorite, and each seems to to the job as well as it does in Windows.

Webcam - All my webcams work, though you might run across the odd webcam that does have the correct drivers, but, this is not the norm.

Anti-spyware - No need. Sure there are theories that Linux can be vulnerable, but there has never been a virus or malware that has actually had any effect on systems outside of the laboratory. Note: if you dual boot Linux with Windows, or, use Wine for Windows emulation, then one should check those Windows files with an anti-virus, but even those files, if infected, can't harm your Linux system, unless you give it permission to do so.

HP Printers - I have never had a problem with any of my HP printers. All have drivers for Linux.

Lightscribe - I see Open source apps that allow the use of Lightscribe, but, I've never used them.

GoogleEarth has a Linux edition.

Picasa - I see extensions for Chrome and Firefox, but I've never used it. I'm sure Auntie Google has made Picasa easy to use in Linux.

Messengers - I don't do messaging, but, there are many apps that cover all the messengers. I remember using Yahoo messenger a few weeks ago because a contact needed me to, and, I had no problems. Windows Live - I deleted it on my Win7 install (yes, I keep it as a dual boot). I can't help you there.

Skype works on my Fedora 13 installs. Many folks I know use it on a variety of distros.

Belarc Advisor - Is only a Windows based app. Most Linux distributions have their own package management apps.

Hope this helped.
  • MikeEnIke
    Options
    Most things you do in Windows, you would be able to find a way to do in Linux. Most times it's just an alternative program (which often times you'll find are more intuitive), and any issues you do run into are normally easily solved. That's the advantages of the community here, we're here to answer any questions you might have or to solve any snags you may run into.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    colinX wrote:
    Hello! I am your latest newbie!
    I changed from Windows XP to W7. I have had all sorts of problems - many programmes that ran in XP won't run in W7. I 'lost' a whole programme containing my complete collections - books, videos, cd's etc. I am not able to alter my photo library in each file - and so it goes on!
    Very basically, I need to know if I were to change to Linux from Windows, what would be the disadvantages. This question probably begs a complicated answer - forgive me, just try to make it simple! Would I be 'doing the right thing'?
    Thanks
    Colin

GoinEasy9 gave a very good response for alternate applications.

As for messaging, pidgin is available for all OSs, and is capable of talking with all IM servers, I use it often.

The best thing to do as a new user is to install a virtual machine software such as virtualbox within windows then install various Linux based distros and applications within them to find what works for you, when you find a good then would be the best time to make the official switch.
  • colinX
    Options
    Goineasy9,
    That was really informative, thanks a lot. I shall file this reply and do some research.

(I opened another reply and found that I was not able to reply to it, and there was a "report to moderator" notice at the bottom. I hope that I have not offended any protocols of the forum)

Regards

Colin
  • colinX
    Options
    To whoever gave this response -

"..As for messaging, pidgin is available for all OSs, and is capable of talking with all IM servers, I use it often.

The best thing to do as a new user is to install a virtual machine software such as virtualbox within windows then install various Linux based distros and applications within them to find what works for you, when you find a good then would be the best time to make the official switch."

My thanks. I think that the replies from goineasy9 have more or less made my mind up that the problem is solveable in W7 and I may not need to change to Linux. However, I have filed all the answers and if I find that I am not able to carry on and decide to change to Linux, I shall refer to these answers and, if necessary, return to the forum for any further assistance.

Thank you all

Regards

Colin

Categories

Upcoming Training