Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Intel PROSet Wireless not connecting to WEP Router

I have installed Ubuntu x86 10.04 LTS onto an old Dell machine which is connected to my broadband modem and Netgear Wireless Router (WGR614 v6). The router is encrypted with 64-bit WEP and allows my System76 Pangolin Performance laptop to connect flawlessly out of the box. However, my sister runs Windows XP Professional 32-Bit on a Dell Latitude D830. This Dell Latitude's wi-fi card is an Intel PROSet Wireless which recognizes the router but can't access it.

What should I do on her laptop in order for her to access the wi-fi router?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If she's running Windows XP, your going to have to set up the networking through Windows. It's probably going to need the WEP encryption key/password entered into the wireless networking setup. Isn't there a quick setup portion of the router's user manual that you could follow? Each router is different.
  • Goineasy9 wrote:
    If she's running Windows XP, your going to have to set up the networking through Windows. It's probably going to need the WEP encryption key/password entered into the wireless networking setup. Isn't there a quick setup portion of the router's user manual that you could follow? Each router is different.

Yesterday, I figured out how to solve this issue via Occam's Razor. In this case, the reason why her laptop couldn't connect to the router was because the router (for reasons still unknown) did not save her MAC address when I originally set it up. I added her laptop back onto the list of accepted machines and her hardware recognized the router. A prompt for one of WEP keys came up, I entered in the data and SHAZAM! her laptop worked again :)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Glad you got it worked out, it sounded like something simple.
  • In the technology world, nothing is ever simple.

Categories

Upcoming Training