Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

upgrade android

can anyone upgrade android 2.1 to 2.2 or 2.3 on one mobile phone such as sumsung galaxy s without changing this phone?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The only official way to get the upgrade is to wait for the next over the air update, you can root your phone and replace the OS with a updated unofficial RAM, but then you void your warranty and will no longer be applicable for OTA updates.
  • do you think that it is necessary to upgrade?
  • mfillpot
    It is best to wait for the OTA updates, when installing unofficial images you run the risk of installing a rootkit or other potentially malicious software. What model of android headset do you have?
  • mfillpot wrote:
    It is best to wait for the OTA updates, when installing unofficial images you run the risk of installing a rootkit or other potentially malicious software. What model of android headset do you have?

He's right, rooting is a little bit intensive (though not really anymore) but you can run into issues and plausible brick your phone. If you don't want to really get into it, I don't recommend rooting for everyone.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    And these are all excellent reasons why I NEVER will purchase a vendor-locked phone again! With my unlocked nexus one I have the ability to do things like update to beta versions of the firmware/OS without running afoul of my service provider's cruft that they have undoubtedly baked into their versions of whatever phone you get from them. Yes, getting an unlocked phone (not rooted, but not locked to a single network provider) is considerably more expensive - an unlocked Nexus One (or now Nexus S) will set you back something over $500 USD, vs about $100-$200 when purchased from a network service along with a 2 year contract, but then you aren't tied to a new contract, and can jump providers by plugging in a new SIM (assuming you have a GSM phone).
  • I don t have any android phone .but I want to know more about it and it is my plan to buy a sumsung gt 19000 galaxy s.
  • mfillpot
    I asked about the phone because generally you can do a search on google to find when the manufacturer plans to issue the over the air updates, in general motorola updates a couple months after the official google phones and htc takes a while longer, due to the fact that samsung has very few android phones they should have an update schedule comparable to motorola.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    As some of you I've an unlocked (not rooted) Nexus One and I'm pretty happy about Operating System quality, no frills no bloatware inside the phone and OTA update when the new firmware is ready.
    Never had a problem with official image, obviously if you wanna have something more, or you like to overclock it, or do some fine tunings you can do it, you'll break your warranty but you already know it.
    I'm satisfied with current Froyo release, no need for Gingerbread yet.

Categories

Upcoming Training