Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Cannot disable PowerSaver

Options

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 940BW display with a sceensaver that keeps interrupting my work. Their manual says its totally controlled by the operating system and cannot be changed in Samsung's display menu. In PCLinuxOS2009 it shows that its disabled in Control Panels, Peripherals, Display, Power Control. The other screensaver is also disabled int Control Panels, Appearance & Themes, Screen Saver. But the PowerSaver just keeps kicking in every 15 minutes or so. Any suggestions?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It sounds like the xscreensaver settings are overwriting what you set in the control panel, try opening xscreensaver from a run dialog or terminal and adjusting the settings in the resulting gui menu.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Same thing happens with my CentOS system. I also haven't been able to figure out how to disable this "PowerSave" mode. It actually puts the monitors in a sleep state so they use less power. In my case, my LCD monitor power buttons go from green to yellow, which indicates a stand-by mode because there is no video signal. FWIW, I'm using DVI interfaces from my nVidia 8800GT card to dual 24" high-def monitors. Since the video signal itself is being turned off at the card, I looked at the nVidia configuration software and unfortunately didn't find anything about this situation there either... :-( So, if you figure something out, let me know! :-)
  • Janed
    Janed Posts: 8
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    It sounds like the xscreensaver settings are overwriting what you set in the control panel, try opening xscreensaver from a run dialog or terminal and adjusting the settings in the resulting gui menu.
    PCLinuxOS does not apear to have xscreensaver, even from root. The forums at PCLinuxOS are broken, just like PowerSaver controls, even though that is currently my favorite distro (that is able to run all sorts for java-crap my broker uses).
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I don't know exactly what applies to your chosen distro, but you may find some help in the documentation at http://saf.bio.caltech.edu/saving_power.html#linux_display

Categories

Upcoming Training