Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to mount a 3.5 floppy drive using zorin?

I am a new linux user. I just installed zorin. I can't get my 3.5 floppy drive to work all the time. What is a simple way to mount this drive? Sometimes rhe drive works and sometimes it doesn't. I get an error message saying can not mount the drive or no disk in drive. I know the drive is ok? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

aa9je- John Welch:

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Do you use the command "mount /dev/fd0 {mount dir}" to mount the disk? If you are using another method please specify that to me.
  • aa9je
    aa9je Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. Where do I type in the command line?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Yes, you will type the command in the command line, you will need to do it as the root user, so if your system is using sudo then issue the command with sudo in the front. Don't forget that what I listed as {mount dir} should be replaced with the name of an empty directory that you wish to use as the mount point.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You should also give a bit more information about your set up. What Linux distribution are you using, and on what type of hardware. Is your floppy part of your computer, or is it a usb plug in floppy?

Fedora, for example, found that since the floppy is more or less obsolete, they removed it fro the initial boot. The problem was similar to your problem. If the floppy was empty, it might not mount correctly. I've seen the same problems with CDROM drives. The problem first arose during set up, when a line was put into fstab during installation. Removing the CDROM line from fstab cured the problem. I don't know if the same thing will work with your floppy problem, but, it's worth looking at /etc/fstab.

With Fedora, if I have a floppy in my computer, I first have to use modprobe ... example:

modprobe floppy

then I have to mount it:

mount /dev/fd0

Then again, if it's a usb floppy, it usually works without any intervention.

Are you confused yet? Well, lets first look at something.

Find the word Terminal in one of your menus (Usually the System Menu) and click on it.
    Type "su" (without quotes) and hit return, then,
    Type "cat /etc/fstab" (without quotes, and yes, there is a space after cat), then,
    post that info here (copy & paste would make it easier)

Tell us what Distro your running, and maybe we can help some more.

Categories

Upcoming Training