Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Having Lubuntu 10.10 work with a router.

I'm asking about getting atleast two computers online at the same time. The router I ordered finally came in .... The router I have has 3 LAN ports and 1 WAN port (for the cable modem). It has a variety of wirless encryption types that it supports including WPA2. Here's the strange thing about it...it just doesn't have the comuter with Linux Lubuntu 10.10 online...through this router when I use the Ethernet cable...and the wireless connection gets lost easy even though the damn USB wireless-N device from the Linux computer is touching--or is a matter of a few inches from--the antenna of the router! Another strange thing is I can boot a different computer...which is a laptop that I have temporarily because I fixed something with it....up with the Lubunutu 10.10 Linux boot CD--choose to Try Linux without installing it on the laptop --and have it online with no problem through this router....(no manual configuration necessary)...I don't get what's different with the laptop versus my Linux computer. Also, I can get my Linux computer online if I bypass the router but I'm trying to have it work with the router so I caqn have more than one computer online at the same time.

Please help me understand how I can fix this...

Thanks in advanced for any helpful response / advice.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The issue may be due to unstable wifi drivers being used by your laptop. Can you please share the wifi card information and drivers used?
  • I really don't know how to tell on Lubuntu 10.10 what my drivers are...one strange thing to note is that I rebooted off just the Lubuntu CD without re-installing Lubuntu Linux and it gets online both through just the cable box and also through the router with another computer connected to the router and then to the cable box. So, I guess there's something wrong with the installation. I mean I can live with booting off the CD...but then everything I save has to be to a portable USB drive...and if I don't boot off the CD it has a problem staying connected with even just the cable box and doesn't seem to connect at all with the router hooked up to the cable box.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    When you boot off of the LiveCD it is using an old kernel and old drivers, so it does sound like the updated drivers are not working properly for your wifi card.

I recommend reading the ubuntu bug reporting page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs) to determine your next step, it is very important that it is reported to the developers so they can fix the problem.

Categories

Upcoming Training