Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Extended desktop

Hi

I am totally new to Linux and have tried CD versions of Knoppix, Ubuntu and Linux Mint. This is a result of being sick and tired of multiple problems with Vista and having to spend more time fixing issues than working productively.

Anyway my problem is that I would love to get rid of MS Vista completely and use Linux Mint but I use my Lenovo 3000N100 laptop with an external monitor plugged in to it, and also another external monitor plugged in to a USB via a Targus Port Replicator. This enables me to have three screens running as an extended desktop, one screen on the left the other on the right. I need this set up for the type of work I do.

So far trialling Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Knoppix off a CD I just cannot create an extended desktop, if I try to do this I get resolution problems and my USB doesn't work at all. Knoppis does not have any option to have an extended desktop that I can see.

I expect it may be because I am using the CD rather than installing Linux but if I can't get my extended desktop working then I cannot really move away from Windows. I am sure there is a workaround but I can't find any information. Not being too technical I have to find an explanation in plain English.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can achieve this?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You're problems with the monitors are more a problem with video drivers and not with the operating system. Vista will automatically install proprietary drivers, most Linux distros won't, you have to choose and install it yourself.

Maybe you could tell us what brand (Nvidia, ATI, Intel) you have in the Lenovo laptop. The model number of the video card would also be a help (In regards to Nvidia & ATI). With that info we may be able to point you to the correct drivers.

I don't think that the basic vesa drivers that are included on Live CD's will allow the external monitor setup that your looking for.

Also, I have a Dell Studio 17 with Intel graphics that runs Fedora 13 with the Open Source Mesa/Gallium drivers that allow me to hook up an external monitor with a HDMI connection and it works great. In order to get that working on a Live CD, I would still have to load one set of extra drivers.

Maybe with a bit more information, we could help some more.
  • ianfm
    ianfm Posts: 4
    Hi

Thanks for your response.

The video is the Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset family driver version 7.15.10.1587, this supports multiple monitor display either mirrored or extended desktop for the laptop screen and a second monitor plugged in to the video output of the laptop.

As for the third monitor this plugs in to a Targus USB docking station with video support. This docking station plugs in to one of my USB ports. This came with a driver for XP/Vista and I have had a look at the Targus support site for suitable drivers and it appears they only support Windows so I probably can't do anything about that at the moment.
  • Goineasy9
    Well, it sounds like a setup similar to what I have with my Dell, except I don't have the dock. Unfortunately, that laptop is currently booted into Windows 7 (dual boot), because, for some reason I can't download the latest beta of Chrome OS without using a Windows machine (note: need to send an email to Google). It will be another hour or so before I can boot back into Fedora and can print out the graphics info, what drivers etc. that I'm currently using, so, check back in a bit and I'll post the info. My guess is that Mint 9 might have the drivers ready to be installed, if not default when you boot up, I've never had to install extra drivers when using Intel graphics.
  • Goineasy9
    My setup with Intel graphics:

Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller Fedora X.org 1.8.2 Res: 1440x900@60.8hz
    GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20100328 2010Q1 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.8.2 Direct Rendering Yes

It's a different chipset then yours, but, it is the mesa drivers that are working for this laptop. Maybe search the Mint 9 repos and see if they contain the open source Mesa drivers.

I'm hoping someone with more Intel graphics experience can also lend some more info.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Yes, it does appear that the Live disk is a bit restricted because it is a read only environment and may not be the most recent release.

Can you please share the output of the command "xrandr" when run from the command line? This command will show us what monitors are detected.
  • ianfm
    Hi
    I installed Linux Mint to run alongside my Windows Vista and hey presto I got both monitor and laptop screen working as an extended desktop so I guess that the problems related to running Linux from the live disc.

Having said that there are some odd things like windows opening on the monitor and not the laptop screen, if I drag the window across to the laptop screen, close it and reopen it, the window has gone back to the monitor screen. Not a great problem, I can live with that for now.

What does amaze me is the speed that my machine boots up into Linux and also the fast shut down, it uses far less resources and programs run much faster.

Thanks
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    By default the windows will open in the default window, which can be annoying, but it tends to be useful.

Can you please confirm if you usb video adapter worked?
  • ianfm
    Hi

I did not get my USB video adaptor working. This works my third monitor in windows which is plugged into a Targus Port Replicator. When I bought this I had to install a driver so that the thing would work but it appears this driver is a windows version. The port replicator has 4 USB sockets on it and when I boot up in Linux these still work. I have a mouse, printer and external HDD plugged in to this and all are working in Linux but the Monitor is not. I did try installing the Targus driver using Wine but it just hangs in mid install.

Regards
    Ian

Categories

Upcoming Training