Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

needs help 335 boost phone as my internet connect

someone please help me i need to setup my i335 boost mobile phone as my internet connection anyone :(

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Per what we talked about in the messages we know that you are using Fedora13 and that this phone does support tethering.

Can you please tell use what window manager or Fedora flavor you are running, such as if it is using KDE, gnome, etc...?
    The answer to that question will help us to know what tools are available to you and what default network manager is being used.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I don't know what's available in Boost's app store, but when I was tethering my Palm Treo, I was able to download a program call "USB Modem". That app, plus the use of Network Manager (Gnome), made tethering on the Palm very easy.
    From watching the Fedora sites, I can see the Network Manager (Gnome) and kNetworkManager (KDE) now have similiar functionality, so, let us know what version of Fedora your using and we can start from there.
    In "Network Connections", using the "Mobile Broadband" setup, you should be able to set up Boost info so it can directly connect. From Boost you'll need a call in number (With Verizon it's #777) your user name (Usually you phone number plus added site info i.e. xxx-xxx-xxxx@boost.net, or something that looks like that) and a password (in Verizon it's "vzw"). I'll take a look and see if I can find any other information.
    I'm wondering since Boost is owned by Sprint, whether you'll need their info instead. I'll see what I come up with.

Edit: here is a link to an archived Ubuntu thread (It's very long), that I used to help set up my Treo with Fedora 13. Though it's based on Ubuntu, the info about call numbers and passwords are invaluable for almost every kind of setup.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-343989.html

BTW - Now that I remember, before Network Manager was able to handle the tethering directly, I used an app called wvdial to make my connections. That works also, actually works very well. If you read down through that long thread, you'll see how people are using that app also.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Can you please tell us what software you are using on the phone to start tethering and if you have attempted to go into the network manager after tethering has started to see if a new option is available?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I don't know about this phone, but with my Nexus One Android phone, all I have to do is plug the phone into my USB port and enable tethering on the phone. Bingo! Instant connection! And with 3G, I am getting 2-3mbps download speeds.

Categories

Upcoming Training