Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What should i do?

hello everybody in linux.com

I have a problem and i think i can find my answer here.I passed the LPIC1 course and now now i am studying linux from LPI book.My problem is that i want to put in practice all things that i am learning or i learnt but i don't know how should i do that?please help me and tell how i can work with linux practically?MY teacher gave me some advises that they were very good but i want more than that.Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The contents of LPI are more geared towards redhat and fedora distributions, I recommend installing fedora on a system and starting to run through your chosen tasks.

If you have specific tasks in mind, please let us know and we can guide you.
  • I did these work.I installed ubuntu and fedora and ran my tasks through them but i want to become expert in securtiy and i think these works are not enough.I want some projects that focuse on security and commands that related to them.
  • First you must outline what parts of security you want to learn. If you want to learn on espects of security, then gather any books related to linux security, network security and TCP/IP security.. Start from the basics and work your way to the most advanced security configurations. Be creative, pretend you are a hacker and try to break your system. Makes notes on what you can hack and how you are able to do it. There are some linux distros that specialize in penetration testing, try this site, http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/Security-Enhanced. Look into, "Damn Vulnerable Linux". The best way to master security is to find loop holes everything. We can also give you projects if you like?
  • saqman2060 wrote:
    First you must outline what parts of security you want to learn. If you want to learn on espects of security, then gather any books related to linux security, network security and TCP/IP security.. Start from the basics and work your way to the most advanced security configurations. Be creative, pretend you are a hacker and try to break your system. Makes notes on what you can hack and how you are able to do it. There are some linux distros that specialize in penetration testing, try this site, http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/Security-Enhanced. Look into, "Damn Vulnerable Linux". The best way to master security is to find loop holes everything. We can also give you projects if you like?

Wonderful!I'll be thankful if you give me some projects.I'm waiting for your proects.Thanks a lot
  • mfillpot
    I differ in my opinion before discovering holes in the deep level functions I think it would be better to become acquainted with the potential security configurations of your existing system. Start with file rights, move onto the firewall, then start playing with various network services trying to find the tightest configuration that still gets the job done.
  • mfillpot has a point. It is better to learn the security configuration of your system. Try different settings, and try to penetrate them once your thoroughly understand how the security system works. Use the text books and white papers to gain more insight security options.

Then once you have master, then look for hole in the system that will allow intrusion. Look for resources regarding penetration testing. There are PC magazines and text books at barns&Noble that offer information on penetration testing.
  • On another note, mastering system security is a general disciple. You will have to learn the security configuration of linux, windows, Macs and Unix systems. IF you work with a particular system, then learn how to secure it only.

What system are you using mostly or want to use to help you in your journey?
  • mfillpot
    To start off begin the focus on network based security because a network visible exploit has a higher probability of being attacked. Begin with learning how to use netstat, netwatch, ss and iptables to understand how your computer is communicating, what it is communicating with and how to filter the communications through the firewall.

After that is complete work on monitoring and controlling local resources with file permissions, seLinux and configuration files, then you can move onto the configuration of network visible services.
  • To answer to dear friend Istimsak i want to work with linux most of the time.To conclude i'm going to do following works please if they are right confirm them or if i should do some works else tell me:
    1-First off all I think i need a distribution such az Backtrack 4 for penetraiting purposes,so i'll install it.
    2-After that i should work with local security configuration until i master them
    3-After all of these works i can go to learn network security.
  • mfillpot
    rampage3 wrote:
    To answer to dear friend Istimsak i want to work with linux most of the time.To conclude i'm going to do following works please if they are right confirm them or if i should do some works else tell me:
    1-First off all I think i need a distribution such az Backtrack 4 for penetraiting purposes,so i'll install it.
    2-After that i should work with local security configuration until i master them
    3-After all of these works i can go to learn network security.

Your chosen course should work to get you started with computer security. Please let us know if you need any additional guidance.
  • I like your choices. Don't forget to include command line security configurations, especially with linux. You are pursuing a very good profession.

Again, let us know if you need guidance.;)
  • Thanks very much from all of you for your helps.Now i know what is the best work and i try to do that and if i have problem i will ask my questions here because i think there is not a place better than here.

All the best

Categories

Upcoming Training