Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Not able to connect Linux from windows ftp

Options

Hello All,

I am new to linux administration. I just created a linux server. I can use FileZilla, winscp and etc.. to file transfer using user "root" . When i run ftp cmd from windows commend prompt, it shows "530" Permission Denied Error. how can i give grant access to user "root" to access ftp via cmd prompt. I could connect ftp from windows cmd prompt by creating temporary user, but user "root" can not able to log in.

Thanks in Advance

Udham

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It sounds like your ftp daemon configuration file is too strict for your needs, however you should not be trying to run ftp as root, you should set it up under an unprivileged user.

In order to assist we need to know what distro and ftp daemon are you using so we know where the configuration file is and what syntax is used for configuration.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    As The Hobbist said, you should NEVER allow root access via FTP. This is a blanket invitation to hackers to compromise your system. You need to do a couple of things to enable FTP on your system:

1. If you are using xinetd to spawn the service, create or edit the appropriate ftp service file in /etc/xinetd.d, and set the disable flag to no instead of yes.
    2. If you are using vsftp, you need to enable the service - it normally isn't spawned by xinetd. Before you do that, you need to edit /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf - see the manpage for vsftpd.conf and vsftpd for details on what to do. You can configure it to deny certain user accounts from logging in if you wish, or to only allow certain user accounts.

Categories

Upcoming Training