Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Problem running executable files

sorry to be using this thread but can anyone help me?? i just installed linux mint and am having a problem opening executable files; i get an error message. is there a setting i need to change so that i can open these file types. thanks alot. -j.b.

Comments

• Joseph, I'm sorry, but you should really open your own thread. By executables, do you mean windows programs? Because if that's the case, then you cannot run those on linux in a standard fashion.
  • You should install the latest version of wine, right-click on the program, click mark as executable, and run it from there. If that doesn't work, then you should probably open a new thread to discuss further, I think.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I separated your post from the other thread and moved it into the desktop software section to properly separate topics.

I agree with Derek, your question does not give us enough information to give you an answer. Are you referring to windows based .exe executable files, unix binary files or unix files such as shell scripts that have the executable permissions set?
  • dhi30
    dhi30 Posts: 1
    in linux, executable files end in .deb for debian based distros like ubuntu or mint. Red hat based distros' executable files end in .rpm, such as fedora or red hat itself.

Hope this helps :side:
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    dhi30 wrote:
    in linux, executable files end in .deb for debian based distros like ubuntu or mint. Red hat based distros' executable files end in .rpm, such as fedora or red hat itself.

Hope this helps :side:

This is incorrect, the .deb and .rpm files are installation packages for the distros that the above poster gave, which are similar to .msi files in windows.

Categories

Upcoming Training