Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to work around ACTA firewall?

Options

Hello everyone, Im fairly new to this site and honestly Ive never heard of Linux until today. Recently I have began taking college courses online and big problem that I have is I dont have a text book, and when my friend (in another country) tries to scan pages of the text book and send it to me it never works. Therefore after much research I figured out the problem was due to the rules of the ACTA agreement thus preventing us from "copying" the contents of the txt book. My question to anyone who can help is, would there be anyway Linux could be used to disable those settings or am I royally screwed? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Vincent Edwards

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I don't really understand how you can consider using Linux a way to get the information you need for school, because the OS cannot modify the way the traffic moves on the internet. I always welcome people to use Linux based systems, but you may want to look into other file transfer and communication services including encrypted transmission services to fill your needs.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    ACTA is a not-yet-ratified trade agreement, not a firewall. Your problem in transferring scanned data is likely technical in nature. Some mail servers will refuse to allow attachments with certain extensions and such in a misguided attempt to limit computer viruses.
  • Babu_R
    Babu_R Posts: 3
    Options
    If you are using Ubuntu, you may use "Firestarter" as firewall and allow your fiends connection.

The atlernative way to transfer the scanned textbook files securley is using SFTP server. Try to setup the SFTP server so that your friend can push the files to your system.

Categories

Upcoming Training