Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

In kernel ver 2.6.10 ext3 filesystem as readonly

I am using linux kernel 2.6.10 (from monta vista distribution)

One of the partition in our device which was formated with ext3 file system, was re mounted with readonly access after couple of months run.

It was working fine for couple of months.

After browsing I had found out that there is a bug in kernel.

I know i should perform fsck on the file system to recover.

My question is what is the reasons for file system to remount read only.

This situation is realy annoying for us. we don't want this situation to ever occur. What are the precautionary measurement we need to take care. Is there any bug fix done in later kernel w.r.t to above bug.

It would realy appreciated if some one throws light one this

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Santosh, usually, EXT will only do that if it encounters a hardware error with the disk, or something happens that is perceived to be a hardware error (like too much disk I/O for the disk to handle). I'm not awaare of any specific bugs with 2.6.10 with regards to EXT3, other than one a couple folks reported with NFS.

The guys at MontaVista are actually really helpful. Gave you run this by them? I'm assuming that yours is some sort of embedded application, since you're using montavista. What else can you tell us about how things are architected?

Also, have you cross posted this to Meld? If not, you should. Again, Meld / MontaVista is usually really helpfull.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    As Adam said, this is probably due to a hardware problem, or file system corruption so the OS put it into read-only mode in order to avoid further corruption of the partition. You should unmount it and run fsck with the -c option so it will also check for bad blocks on the disc. If it finds a number of bad blocks, then you need to replace the disc.

Categories

Upcoming Training