Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Best Distro for my System.

My system is baseboard a Dell 4600.

Processor Intel P4 2.8Ghz

1.5Gb DDR 333Mhz

ATI x1650 512MB DDR2

Just want the best distro that will work with my system. tried ubuntu 10.04, xubuntu 10.04, kubuntu 10.04, and Mandriva 2010 spring. I know I didn't TRY THEM ALL lol but I just want the best one. Ubuntu at least let the S-video work natively (But the TV was black and white), Mandriva the S-Video isn't showing up in the display settings just vga and dvi. and the ATI drivers arn't supported on this 2010 unix kernel? I would LIKE to use Mandriva if possible but if not I'll use ANY distro that's got a Decent functioning UI I prefer KDE but Gnome is ok just not a BIG fan of dual taskbars. so If i just need to download the Distro for an Older Kernel? I'm a I wouldn't say Guru but close when it comes to Computer's. Linux and Coding are the only bottle necks for me and i Figured if i can learn Linux then I just need to grasp how to understand programming like VB C++ etc. lol

Comments

• whats the average wait time for answers lol
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    We are all volunteers here, most have $dayjobs and check the forum occasionally during the day.
    BTW - The Best distro for your system depends on your own preferences. I'm running Fedora on a P4 with 500mb of memory and it's working just fine, but, I wouldn't recommend Fedora for a beginner. Ubuntu or Mint should work just fine, download a LiveCD first and check it out before you install.
  • It is true, the best distro depends on your preferences. When I started using linux, I began with ubuntu and never had a complaint. It does the thing I want it to do, of course, that is different from you. However, this is the distro I would recommend for beginners.

The best think to do is try mutiple liveCDs of linux distros and see if they compliment what you want to do or what you want it to work with.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The video card issue will have to be tested with liveCDs to see if their included video drivers work. The ATI card in the system is the hold up, if you use ATI proprietary drivers then the results will be questionable, but i have heard good things about the kernel based ATI drivers, but I don't know if they are build to detect s-video.

To answer the question directly, any distro should work on your system, the real deciding factor if your window manager preferences, experience level and goal tasks for the system to perform.

In general based upon your initial response I would say to use Mandriva, but look into the instructions for installing the ATI proprietary drivers.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    If you like Mandriva, use Mandriva. If you liked the hardware support in Ubuntu and just want KDE, then use kubuntu.

If you use Mandriva, and have an issue with the viedo card, then check the kernel version and the modules being loaded. Odds are, the kernel version shipped with Ubuntu was different than the one shipped w/ Mandriva. You may need to roll your own or at least compile some additional modules to get the video working the way you want it to.
  • mfillpot wrote:
    The video card issue will have to be tested with liveCDs to see if their included video drivers work.
    The ATI card in the system is the hold up, if you use ATI proprietary drivers then the results will be questionable,
    but i have heard good things about the kernel based ATI drivers, but I don't know if they are build to detect s-video.

To answer the question directly, any distro should work on your system, the real deciding factor if your window
    manager preferences, experience level and goal tasks for the system to perform.

In general based upon your initial response I would say to use Mandriva, but look into the instructions for installing
    the ATI proprietary drivers.

Thank you everyone for your comments. there doesn't appear to be a proprietary driver in the list in Ubuntu Nor
    Mandriva maybe 2009/9.10 will work... and the download-able on from ati.amd.com just shows this in term when
    I try to execute it
    [s32ialx@localhost Downloads]$ su
    Password: 
    [root@localhost Downloads]# sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.kLZSsU
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver- 8.593
    ............................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
    ==================================================
    which: no XFree86 in 
    (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt4/bin)

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.33.7-desktop-2mnb; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.kLZSsU
    [root@localhost Downloads]#

Goineasy9wrote:
    We are all volunteers here, most have $dayjobs and check the forum occasionally during the day.

Was only joking I know people work. it was only meant to be sarcasm not literal because I know there are ALWAYS
    millions of people on-line LOL they just might not speak English or not even old enough to know what Linux is or a Distro.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Heh...you sure you want us to remove the original one.... or the one you fixed. :D
  • Goineasy9
    Heh...you sure you want us to remove the original one.... or the one you fixed.

the original the fixed one has line breaks to force the ability to read. I'm certain upon deletion of the original (broken frame) it'll fix all frames thereafter
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have removed one of the duplicate entries and removed the characters that created the page width issue.

Can you please update me with your current situation and how we can further assist?
  • mfillpot wrote:
    I have removed one of the duplicate entries and removed the characters that created the page width issue.

Can you please update me with your current situation and how we can further assist?

thank you well right now the only issues i am having are in Mandriva 2010.1 with the error on ATI driver install from the catalyst from ati.amd.com... and with Wine-Doors after i enter the name check of the i have a valid xp key and click continue it just greys out cancel and continue. got the wine from the software centre

Categories

Upcoming Training