Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Dell netbook, wireless internet and ubunto

Hi just installed ubunto on my dell inspiron netbook.

For some reason it no longer picks up my wireless network. Any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    What kind of wireless device are you using?

lspci | grep -i wire
    lspci | grep -i wifi

Are two commands that can tell us what wifi chip you are using. It should work with the first line, but, I also have a Dell where the second line was needed.
    If you can just run either of those lines in terminal and post the output here.
  • Hi

This doesn't seem to work.

Can't get the | key to work (keeps coming up as <).
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Hi, you can always run just "lspci" and look to see which line contains the wireless. I know, I used to use wire, then I found on one of my Dell's it was wifi, so, just look at the whole output. This is what my wireless looks like:

06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

It was the bottom line of the output.

BTW - If you don't see anything that looks like wireless, show us the whole lspci output.
  • When you installed ubuntu, the wireless adapter is not enable by default. You will have to download and install the opensource wireless driver.

Do you recall installing an opensource driver for your wireless adapter? If not, plug your laptop into your internet router via ethernet cable, go to systems> administrator> hardware drivers. This will scan your system an search for an missing drivers.

Categories

Upcoming Training