Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I know nothing about Linux

Hi, I am brand new to Linux and don't know very much.

I am having a problem connecting to the internet while running Linux, when I use XP I use a program that connects me to the internet and I don't know how to connect when Linux is running.

By the way I am using Ubuntu if that is useful at all.

Also i tried installing the program I use on Ubuntu but the program only works with XP or Vista.

Comments

• Awesome,

Well to help first it would be nice to know a few things. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provide). Is it Dial-Up or is it HighSpeed? Whats the software that you run in XP that helps connect?

Answer those questions and it will give us more to work with. ^.^
  • My ISP is Comcast and I connect through the Belkin Networking Utility.
    Anything else that may be useful to you?
  • well i connect to my wifi and I use a wireless adapter. But when I went on Ubuntu it didn't recognize my personal wifi. And I don't know how to tell it to "search for it.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It sounds like this is an issue with your wifi adapter not being detected by ubuntu. Can you please tell us what version of ubuntu you have installed and give us the model information from the wifi adapter?
  • Did you install the opensource driver for your wireless adaptor?
  • I do not know what version of Ubuntu I have but I downloaded it from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download If that helps and the only thing I know about my WiFi adapter is that it is a Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Can you please give us the model number from bottom of the belkin wireless adapter?
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Please run the following commands and then provide the output here.

cat /etc/issue (this will tell us what version of Ubuntu you are running)
    uname -r (Will tell us what version of the kernel you have installed)
    lsusb (run this while the wifi adapter is plugged in. This will tell us if the kernel is seeing the device)
    demesg | tail -50 (run AFTER unplugging and then re-connecting the wifi adapter)

Also, get the model number as was asked.

Yours is probably an easily resolved issue.

Categories

Upcoming Training