Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

change/modify filesys dirs to other partitions

Options

Hi all,

I am using Fedora to learn Linux admin.

I am still in the early early stages I believe, but I read that I can set my file sys dirs as /var, /home, /usr... i can even move them to another partition to be safe from the system crashes... I just dont know how...

can anyone just stop my curiosity by telling me even tips and I will follow them till I reach?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Well, to start off with, when you first install fedora, you can put all those system folders into their own partitions. I guess if your running a server that might make more sense. On the desktop, less.
    If you have room on your hard disk, you can copy the folders to the free partitions, then change the lines in fstab that point to those folders, and point them to the new partition. This will mount these folders as the computer boots up. Linux looks at everything as a file/folder. Moving that file/folder is as easy as changing how it's pointed to in fstab.

Try looking at "man fstab" to see how it works
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Options
    It's always easier to build it that way from scratch. If you already have a running machine it gets trickier to move things around w.out down time, and without breaking things. In addition to reading up on fstab, you want to read up on tools like cpio and rsync, and fdisk. If you are also going down this road because you intend on becoming a sysadmin down the road, you should probably also read up on LVM.

Categories

Upcoming Training