Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

PLEASE HELP WITH KEYBOARD!

Options

I want to try to program my keyboard to enter different keys. Like If I pressed "q" I could make it press "y". How do I change what my keyboard types in??? I am using Fedora and I am a huge noob.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    If you go to System-->Preferences-->Keyboard-->Layouts-->Options you can look at the options (there are many) and see if you can customize the keyboard for your preference. When you're in Layouts and choose to "Add", you can actually set up a keyboard to you own specifications (At least that's how it appears).
    If you can't find a solution in the above utility, changing just specific keys would require making changes, for example, to /etc/X11/Xmodmap. In that file, you can see how they customize settings for specific keys. I have never had to change keyboard settings in fedora, so I can't tell you if just changing that file would work or not, so, see if the Layout Options can do what you want. If not, maybe we can take a closer look and see if we can find another solution.
  • vadifire
    Options
    I already knew about selecting the language I want to use, but I want to edit the keycode the computer inputs for an individual key, does anybody know how I'd accomplish this?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    The instructions I gave above had to do with more than just changing the language on the keyboard. Besides the Gnome keyboard menu function, I also mentioned /etc/X11/Xmodmap. In order to change specific key functions on a particular keyboard, one must modify the keymap. This is not an easy function. If you look at the Xmodmap manual, and go down to examples, they show how to modify the keys using the keycodes. It's a matter of including the lines in the Xmodmap file. When you press a key, it returns a keycode. If you say "keycode 65 = Delete" , then, the key that returns a keycode of 65 (which is the "a" I believe), when pressed, will act as a Delete key.

Link to the Xmodmap manual:
    http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html

Categories

Upcoming Training