Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

HELP!Wireless AP with Linux and Lenovo 3000N200

I want to make a Wireless Access Point with Linux or any other OS on my Lenovo 3000N200.All I need is to find any wireless modules,which can be recognised in my area.Linux or other OS is because with XP my laptop it is a Client wireless and finds only AP,not wireless Clients.What do I have to do?Please Help.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have not yet modified any of my Linux based systems to act as a wireless routers, but it does sound like a fun project. I found a tutorial at http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/55617 that I will test this evening and I hope that it will work for your needs.
  • Thank You very much for you're answer.
    I have found also this tutorial before.
    Do you know how could I find wireless modules also with usual XP?
    It finds just wireless Access points but dose not finds my 2.4 GHz, IEEE Std. 802.11b‚Ñ¢
    RF Transceiver Module module.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am a bit lost about the question of finding wireless modules, are you stating that you cannot find the modules to be used in Linux and that you wish to replicate the same procedure with windows xp?
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    I think it's important to know exactly what you want to achieve. It's rare for a person to need to use their own machine as an access point. If the need is to detect devices "speaking" 802.11, then a tool like kismet is really the way to (Linux only). If however, you want to be able to process 802.11 association requests, then there is an app called hostap (available in the debian / ubuntu repositories by default) that is a configurable 802.11 access point. It puts your network card into "infrastructure" mode, flipping that bit in the 802.11 frames and will send out 802.11 beacon frames like an AP. However, alone it's not 100% of the funtionality of an AP you buy at a big box retailer. To achieve that level of functionality, you also need to install and configure a DHCP server, and probably some routing / firewalling funtionality as well.

As a side note, a fun project to run hostap, a DHCP server, and Squid proxy with a model that passes all images through image magick to either make all the images fuzzy, or to turn all the images upside down. Then rename your SSID to match a commonly used ESSID like "Linksys" or something so people to connect to it.

Another fun / useful project is to make a "myfi" of your own. I've done this using hostap, a DHCP server, a DNS cache daemon, a proxy server, some quick rules in iptables, and my Sprint EVDO card w/ unlimitted data service. I thus turn my little netbook into a hotspot for use just about anywhere I can get a signal on Sprint's network.

Categories

Upcoming Training