Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Headphone Jack

Hi, all!

For some odd reason, on my laptop, my headphone jack isn't working in Ubuntu. I obviously plug headphones into it, but no sound comes through them when I play something with sound. My headphone jack worked before in Ubuntu, but a few days ago, it stopped working.

My headphone jack works fine in Windows 7 (I have my laptop in dual-boot between Ubuntu and Windows), so I know it's not an issue with the headphones or the laptop.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• MATThematical wrote:
    Hi, all!

For some odd reason, on my laptop, my headphone jack isn't working in Ubuntu. I obviously plug headphones into it, but no sound comes through them when I play something with sound. My headphone jack worked before in Ubuntu, but a few days ago, it stopped working.

My headphone jack works fine in Windows 7 (I have my laptop in dual-boot between Ubuntu and Windows), so I know it's not an issue with the headphones or the laptop.

Can anyone help?

Just out of curiosity, could you run
    alsamixer

in a terminal for me?
    The second option should read "Headphone" with amplitude levels (volume) up to 100 and a small green box with two 0's. If that box says "mm" that means the volume is muted (this happened to me when I tried to get audio out of my HDMI feed). If this is the case, that might solve your quandary :)
  • I typed in the "alsmixer" command and the second option said "Speakers." I assume I need to change it to headphones. How do I do that?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    MATThematical wrote:
    I typed in the "alsmixer" command and the second option said "Speakers." I assume I need to change it to headphones. How do I do that?
    \

Generally you press space to select an option or use the arrow keys to navigate and change levels.

However I have the same problem with my sound card, but I found that the driver for my specific card has not yet been completed, so at this point my headphone jack does not work nor will it mute the volume from the main speakers or even access any input. When dealing is an OS that is not officially supported by the hardware companies there will be occurrences where you have to wait for the open source developers to perfect your drivers before you will get optimal functionality. A good rule of thumb is to not buy bleeding edge hardware, but to wait 6 months to a year after it is released to give time for the bugs to be fixed and the drivers to be completed.
  • MATThematical wrote:
    I typed in the "alsmixer" command and the second option said "Speakers." I assume I need to change it to headphones. How do I do that?

No, you should not have to change it to headphones. My display was different due to my sound card.

Does "speakers" say 00 in white lettering with a green box around it? I shall post a screen capture to illustrate what I mean. Headphoneproblem.png
  • My "alsamixer" display has the options in the following order: Master, Speaker, PCM, Front Mike B, Mike Boost, and Beep. It doesn't have headphones anywhere. The green boxes for Master and Speaker each have 00 in them. There are no green boxes for the other options.

Any ideas?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Can you please tell me what card and chip show up in the upper left corner of alsamixer so we can check to see if there are known issues with the kernel drivers?

Categories

Upcoming Training