Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Need some help

My burner is cooked and my only USB is a 512mb so I have no way of getting the newest linux OS installed.

What I wanted to know is if I can use "damn small linux" and upgrade from that to the full version, or if there is an older version that is small enough that I could later upgrade, and if so where do I get it?

The reason I want to make the switch is because I'm using a 96 compaq with 512RAM, and XP is slower than a snail on this thing.

Thanks,

Vict0r.

Comments

• Arch Linux is all you need. They have great documentation and make it easy to install a full OS. If you feel somewhat comfortable with terminal, then go ahead and give it a shot. It's a rolling release, so you never have to install from a disk again. The distro when downloaded is only about 324MB.
  • Are there any issues I will immediatly run into involving getting back online or functionality?
    Also, what does "terminal" mean?
    I know very very little about this stuff.
  • By terminal I mean command line. They have a great documentation page to take you step by step through it. When you first install the operating system, you will have to type everything in to get it working. After you install the additional packages you should be fine, and will boot into a normal system.

If that sounds too hard, then take a look at this. http://www.archbang.org/
    You will want to go to downloads and choose the ArchBang 2010.05 32-bit (2010-05-11) main iso.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I would recommend looking for a distro with a minimal install usb image so you can run the installer from the small usb drive. An example would be how I install slackware, I install their 40MB usb image onto my 128MB usb drive then use that to prompt a network based installation.

Categories

Upcoming Training