Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Sitecom WL-321 drivers needed

hi all!!!

i hope u can help me with my problem(s)

first my system: compaq presario F500 series

Ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix

well a few days ago my WIFI card burnt out deu to the fail of compaq, the bios had an error and now my WIFI card is fried beyond repair, the mother board doesnt respond to a new card... damn shame.

so i think i was smart enough to buy a Sitecom WL321 gaming router, well im not smart.

the router is recognized by linux and can see some networks, all fine, no.

I cant connect to any network, i need to install the drivers so it will work.

contacted sitcom, all i got was: we cant help you, if u are using WL-321 under linux we cant give any support.

been trying for days to get this to work but finnaly i found a problem i cant solve myself.

happy to here from you....

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    See this link:
    http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RT2800USB.html

It seems this driver is in kernel 2.6.34 and above. I don't know what kernel your version of Ubuntu has, but if you can get a newer kernel, you should be able to get your device to work. If you search that webpage you will see the listing I pasted below.

vendor: 0df6 ("Sitecom Europe B.V."), product: 003b ("WL-321 Wireless USB Gaming Adapter 300N")

Edit: Just noticed the smiley's, they are caused by how the browser or the forum software is reading the colons etc.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The latest pushed kernel with ubuntu is in the 2.6.32 kernel, as GeoiEasy9 had stated the driver will not work with that kernel, official support for that card will not come for a while.

As a note about the wireless card, if you are seeking a replacement look for one with an atheros chipset, atheros card work without issues on all operating systems.

For the router, if the router is using the proper standards all devices should be able to talk to it, if your router cannot connect with the standard protocols then chances are that it will not work properly with other devices and you should look to replace it with one from someone like linksys.
  • so what u are saying is that i bought this card for nothing????

i geuss i have to wait for the drivers......
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    jaap-auwers wrote:
    so what u are saying is that i bought this card for nothing????

i geuss i have to wait for the drivers......

At this point I would have to say yes, the developers of the drivers have developed them to work on a kernel that ubuntu will most likely not be using for at least another year. As I stated above it would be best if you tried to replace it with an atheros based card because they are workhorses that don't break easy and always have optimal compatibility.

Categories

Upcoming Training