Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

ubuntu server edition

Options

so i installed server addition to my extra hard drive. i used my sisters computer running ubuntu 10.04 to try to use it to store files.

it did not come up on the network.

when i boot into server mode it gives me a unix interface, and as such i can do anything in there. but im wondering is there more to it than that and how do i use it/get it to hook up to the network. im sure theres no Graphical Interface, as it doesnt need one, but i dont seem to have it working properly. do i have to install cloud as well?

also will windows users be able to access the server?

Thanks, general info on how to use it is what im looking for!

Kolton Kuhns

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    By "it did not come up on the network" do you mean that it did not get an ip address and have network access, or that it did not show up in the windows "My Network" groups?

The CLI mode interface that you have gives you many capabilities and functions, it all depends on what you would like to do. If you wish to have a GUI (point and click interface) then you can install gnome with apt-get, if after install it does not boot into GUI mode then you can launch it with the startx command.

What services would you like for the windows users to use to be able to access the server?
  • astromech_kuhns
    Options
    it did not show up on ubuntu network. i could not view the file system it contained.

and no i like the non GUI interface. i can use the terminal fairly well.

i would like the server to be able to store files and backups of all the computers. basically being a external hard drive. just store things for our computers to access, or even share. we have both ubuntu and windows computers in the household.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    unfortunately I do not know what you mean by "ubuntu network", but I am assuming that you mean something similar to the windows "my network" groups which are associated by the samba/smb protocol.

The best bet for file sharing between windows and Linux based systems would be to set up your server as a samba server using the smb protocol.

You can read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba to get the information necessary to set your server up as an samba server.
  • roobal
    Options
    Install first Samba. You must also set your Ubuntu Server in the same workgroup as Windows works in configuration file of Samba.

Categories

Upcoming Training