Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Setting IPv4 address & sharing

Hood take me but I'm beginning to think Windows might be better than Linux. Anyway, I can connect & share my dual-boot PC with no problems under WinXPPro using wired or wireless. (I've another thread going trying to get the wireless-n usb adapter to work.) Two questions so I can get the wired shares to work.

I want to copy beaucoup files from the Win7 PC to the dual-boot PC. When booting into XP, no problems. When booting into Ubuntu 10.04, nothing. I can see the Win7 PC but can't access it. My two questions then are these.

First, is there some switch to enable fire & drive sharing under Lynx as there is under WinXP / 7? Second, how does one set the IPv4 address? Under WinXP it's one address and under Lynx it's another.

Thank you.

Oh, once this puppy is working, it goes to my daughter who wants to learn Ubuntu & Linux.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Windows is using the smb file share protocols to share files, under linux you can use samba (smb cleint or server), ftp, http or ssh.

If you are interesting in setting up your ubuntu installation as a windows file share server you can read http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1590 for pretty simple instructions.

As a note for your first line, Linux based systems offer much more freedom to choose the right tool for the job. It seems more complicated because you have options, if you embrace those options and find the right tools for your specific tasks you will learn to enjoy the system.
  • roobal
    roobal Posts: 25
    Click right mouse button on directory you want to share and choose from menu sharing options (or something like that, I have my Ubuntu in other language than English) and when you try to share the files, system should ask you if you want to install requierd software to enable sharing.
  • After looking at several options, I went with the Samba solution. After looking at it for a few moments I figured out how to set it up and share files between WinXP, Win7 & Ubuntu. Actually, easier than Win.
    Thanks for the help.
    Oh, and forget about setting the IPv4 address. Apparently when this box was just WinXP, which I had to reload, the IPv4 got assigned and stuck to the NIC.
  • Jinux
    Jinux Posts: 20
    You can assign a static address in the Network Manager. Select Auto eth0 from the list and click Edit. Then set the address type to manual and input the information.

Categories

Upcoming Training