Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Noob wanting to reprogram a different mobile os

Options

Whats up folks! Was learning how to programmed back in high school but that was years ago but I'm seeing how people are using Linux kernels with haret to run an mobile os on an sd card. I recently just seen that the kernel for MeeGo is now up and I want to try and reprogram it to work on the HTC Touch Pro 2(phone I have and I'm tired of Winmo, just like everybody else!!!) but I don't even know where to begin! So with that being said, what do I need to learn and what tools would I need?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    You can visit http://meego.com/downloads to get information about the various developer images currently available for meego. Currently the only mobile phone device that it has an image for is the Nokia N900, but if you are willing to do some legwork you may be able to help them mod it to work on your phone.

Currently your best bet for you phone would be to install android, since it has already been done and images are available. I recommend checking out http://www.androidonhtc.com/
  • J.A.I.
    J.A.I. Posts: 2
    Options
    ok, i'm going on the MeeGo forum now but I don't mind doing some leg work and I tried the android os on the tp2, very great but if I or anybody else can make an image that will work with the tp2, that'll just be more options you can choose from.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I admire your drive and enthusiasm. I completely agree with the need for additional options and can't wait to see if someone else is already working on a meego image for your phone and maybe even my own.

Since you were able to get android running on your phone that already means that the drivers are available to the Linux kernel, so it should not take too much tinkering to get an image adapter for your phone I would recommend starting with the hardware and driver list that was used by android and working with the meego community to get a new image built.

Categories

Upcoming Training